Getting Choppy Results

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Go3Team

Getting Choppy Results

Post by Go3Team »

Hello,

I'm trying to put my BD library on our Video On Demand system here at home. Every time I try to decrease size of the original MKV file, the end result is choppy or has some stuttering to it, that is not present on the original. After searching a bit, I saw posts where people mentioned changing a few settings such as B Frames and Reference Frames. I increased them steadily (4 or 5 separate encodes) to 10+ and still had the same result, but god awful process times as the number increased.

I had the same results on my Windows Vista machine which isn't as fast as the server, but still get the same result on the server.

Server Specs:
Intel i7 920
6 gigs of RAM
500 gig OS drive
12 TB Raid 6 Array - using 12 1TB hard drives.
Ubuntu 9.10 64bit
Handbrake svn3289

When I process the BD files, I'm trying to get them down to around 8-10 gigs a piece depending on the movie, so I'm not trying to skimp too much on quality, just something the weakest player in the house can play without complaining too much.

Here are a few of the logs that are of the same source file, just different settings:
http://pastebin.com/4tpzEJJA
http://pastebin.com/T7cdftuy
http://pastebin.com/dPUuqPnL

Thanks for any help.
TonyPh12345

Re: Getting Choppy Results

Post by TonyPh12345 »

What happens if you start with the original M2TS stream from the BD and create an MKV file the way you want it from the beginning?
Go3Team

Post by Go3Team »

Haven't tried the original m2ts, the first pass is done with MakeMKV, then Handbrake. I'll give that a shot and see what I come up with.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

On what player are you seeing the stuttering? You might want to go in the opposite direction and decrease b-frames and reference frames. Some players don't support certain features of h.264 well, so also try disabling weigthb and weightp.
creamyhorror
Enlightened

Post by creamyhorror »

You haven't even specified exactly what devices you're trying to play the encodes on, and the connections the encodes are being streamed over. You'll need to provide information on those.

Don't increase b-frames and ref frames, they don't really help compression that much past 6 or so for most live-action films. They certainly don't make the encodes any easier for devices to play back.
Go3Team

Post by Go3Team »

The results are the same for all of the media players in the house:

I have 3 1st Gen WDTVs
1 WDTV Live (Handles the original quite nicely)
VLC on the computer I usually use (E8400, 8 gigs RAM, Radeon HD 4830 w/ 1 gig, also handles the originals nicely)

Network is wired Gigabit Lan utilizing Cat 6 solid cable.

The problem is only with the Handbrake copies made with the server above, and the computer just mentioned.
aravenel

Post by aravenel »

Were you ever able to get this resolved?
mkelley
Bright Spark User

Post by mkelley »

On my WDTV Live(s) and Plus unit my Handbrake encoded blu-rays play perfectly -- I think the OP should have started with the original source and just used the High Profile preset (but output to MKV) and he would have had zero issues.