how to enable detelecine rev3242 x86_64

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jazzmans

how to enable detelecine rev3242 x86_64

Post by jazzmans »

under my debian sid box, I seem to not have the option to enable detelecine.

my old install of handbrake (no longer supported) had a checkbox under ?picture? or maybe it was video tab.

I usually use High Profile and leave everything but audio at the stock settings. where/how do I enable detelecine so the tv sources (pinky and the brain, sanford and son, etc) no longer have those horrible motion artifacts?

I use k9copy to rip the iso to hdd, then handbrake to create m4v for playback streamed through ps3 on 1080P lcd.

thanks in advance.

jaz
Last edited by jazzmans on Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: how to enable detelecine rev3242 x86_64

Post by JohnAStebbins »

There is a separate picture setting dialog. Picture Settings toolbar button opens it.
jazzmans

Post by jazzmans »

Thank you John.

Under that picture settings dialog, decomb is checked, and set to defalt. detelecine is checked and set to default.

However, on tv ntsc sources it's(the resulting m3v image) horrid. will changing the check to Deinterlace instead of decomb resolve this, or should I change the 'default' pulldown box to custom, and thirdly if so, what (if any) other changes will be necessary?

Again, thanks for the help.

jaz
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

The defaults are usually good. We'll need an activity log of the bad encode to see what's going on.
jazzmans

Post by jazzmans »

As an update, I enabled logging, and have been converting Sanford and Son Season 1 as a test, and it appears, (won't know 'till I do some TV cartoons) that I had been using the Normal mode on the TV stuff (I figured, wrongly that TV didn't need the higher quality). the jagged edges are not present on my SnS conversion. So, I'll update after I've gotten some TV cartoons, animaniacs/ etc done.

For the record, I've converted 1856 different movies/tv episods/cartoons using handbrake so far this year. My goal is to get my entire dvd collection digitized and available from my media server.

Thanks guys!

jaz
phoenixdown

Post by phoenixdown »

Jazzman's -- very nice! What devices are you using as media extenders/players/etc (like appletv or popcorn hour, etc)?
jazzmans

Post by jazzmans »

I use mediatomb to stream the videos, over the wireless it was just too much data, so I ran a cat 5 to the ps3 (No, sony I am NOT updating my software to remove other os, you can eat a bag of [censored]!)

did a few more movies over the last couple of days, as long as it's high profile, seems to be fine. I still haven't done any tv cartoons though. ( don't have any left I haven't encoded)

jaz