Mint 9 & Handbrake HELP PLEASE

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Cultural Deviant

Mint 9 & Handbrake HELP PLEASE

Post by Cultural Deviant »

I am a moron, please treat me as so. I've looked up and down forums and search engines looking for a solution to this problem. I was running handbrake on mint 8 with no problems. I just installed mint 9 on a new drive and I can't get handbrake to work(i.e. a version that I can download and run). I tried the PPA from stebbins but I'm not sure that I loaded it right. I followed the instructions, sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stebbins/handbrake-snapshots then sudo apt-get update, but no handbrake.
I am an idiot so if you have a solution please be very detailed and use small words.
Thanks.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: Mint 9 & Handbrake HELP PLEASE

Post by JohnAStebbins »

For starters, tell us exactly what happens when you try to run the new version of handbrake that you installed from the PPA. If it runs at all, look at Help->About to see what version you are running. Maybe you didn't uninstall the old version and are still running it. How are you running it? From the command line of from the menus? If you didn't try the command line, try it. The command is ghb. Tell us what you see.
Cultural Deviant

Post by Cultural Deviant »

Nothing happened. That's my point. Did I mention that I'm an idiot? I thought I did. Seriously, I haven't a clue what I'm doing. I just switched over to linux last week because I HATE M$. So that being said, I'm running mint 9 64 main. I love handbrake and used it on windows, and I would really like to continue using it. So detailed solutions are appreciated.
hunterk
Bright Spark User

Post by hunterk »

You can try to add the PPA to your sources manually. Open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
Scroll all the way to the bottom and paste in:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/stebbins/handbrake-snapshots/ubuntu lucid main 
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/stebbins/handbrake-snapshots/ubuntu lucid main
We used 'lucid' as the Ubuntu version because that's the version that Mint 9 is based on.

Save and exit, then, back in the terminal, type:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 816950D8
This will add John Stebbins' PPA to your list of trusted sources.

Now, try to update again:

sudo apt-get update
Then, search for Handbrake by typing:

apt-cache search handbrake
This should return 2 results: handbrake-cli and handbrake-gtk. To install the GUI-based one, type:

sudo apt-get install handbrake-gtk