[Resolved] [svn 1818] error from PTHREAD_MUTEX_NORMAL

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

hunterk
Bright Spark User

[Resolved] [svn 1818] error from PTHREAD_MUTEX_NORMAL

Post by hunterk »

Hi, I'm compiling on Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit and I've started running into this error using svn version 1818:

Code: Select all

hb.c: In function 'hb_get_preview':
hb.c:358: warning: ignoring return value of 'fread', declared with attribute warn_unused_result
hb.c: In function 'hb_detect_comb':
hb.c:454: warning: unused variable 'flag'
Cc ports.o
echo cc -I../contrib/include -D__LIBHB__ -DUSE_PTHREAD -DSYS_LINUX  -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -Wall -g -O3 -funroll-loops
cc -I../contrib/include -D__LIBHB__ -DUSE_PTHREAD -DSYS_LINUX -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -Wall -g -O3 -funroll-loops
ports.c: In function 'hb_lock_init':
ports.c:415: warning: implicit declaration of function 'pthread_mutexattr_settype'
ports.c:415: error:'PTHREAD_MUTEX_NORMAL' undeclared (first use in this function)
ports.c:415: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
ports.c:415: error: for each function it appears in.)
Compile line for ports.o was:
cc -I../contrib/include -D__LIBHB__ -DUSE_PTHREAD -DSYS_LINUX -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -Wall -g -O3 -funroll-loops -o ports.o -c ports.c
make[1]: *** [ports.o] Error 1
make: *** [libhb/libhb.a] Error 2
I've compiled from SVN plenty of times, so I don't think it's a problem on my end. However, I noticed that commit 1817 was a change to the way pthread mutex was handled, so I thought this problem could be related.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: [svn 1818] error from PTHREAD_MUTEX_NORMAL

Post by jbrjake »

All of that stuff is defined in pthread.h which your system should certainly have.
hunterk
Bright Spark User

Post by hunterk »

hey, thanks for the quick reply jbrjake.

I indeed have it, located at /usr/include/pthread.h, so I'm not sure why there would be a problem here. Any thoughts?

Also, if you could tell me how to check out an earlier version (e.g., 1816), I could verify whether this commit is what broke it for me.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

svn -r 1816 co svn://svn.handbrake.fr/HandBrake/trunk HandBrake-r1816

Rodney
hunterk
Bright Spark User

Post by hunterk »

Thanks for the info Rodney!

I was able to compile 1816 with no trouble, but 1817 failed with the same error as 1818, so I can confirm that it was this commit that broke it for me. Let me know if you guys need any more info, or if there's anything else I can do to help (other than writing actual code :oops: ).

btw, there have been some pretty great improvements checked-in lately, and it just keeps getting better. It looks like 0.9.3 is going to be a big step up from the last release! keep up the good work!
maestro371
Novice

Post by maestro371 »

Same problem here on Debian Etch with 1819. I'll root around a bit and see if I can find anything.

Cc ports.o
echo cc -I../contrib/include -D__LIBHB__ -DUSE_PTHREAD -DSYS_LINUX  -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -Wall -g -O3 -funroll-loops
cc -I../contrib/include -D__LIBHB__ -DUSE_PTHREAD -DSYS_LINUX -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -Wall -g -O3 -funroll-loops
ports.c: In function 'hb_lock_init':
ports.c:415: warning: implicit declaration of function 'pthread_mutexattr_settype'
ports.c:415: error: 'PTHREAD_MUTEX_NORMAL' undeclared (first use in this function)
ports.c:415: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
ports.c:415: error: for each function it appears in.)
Compile line for ports.o was:
cc -I../contrib/include -D__LIBHB__ -DUSE_PTHREAD -DSYS_LINUX -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -Wall -g -O3 -funroll-loops -o ports.o -c ports.c
make[1]: *** [ports.o] Error 1
make: *** [libhb/libhb.a] Error 2
maestro371
Novice

Post by maestro371 »

Okay, it seems that PTHREAD_MUTEX_NORMAL is set conditionally upon __USE_UNIX98 being set:

From /usr/include/pthread.h

#ifdef __USE_UNIX98
  PTHREAD_MUTEX_NORMAL = PTHREAD_MUTEX_TIMED_NP,
  PTHREAD_MUTEX_RECURSIVE = PTHREAD_MUTEX_RECURSIVE_NP,
  PTHREAD_MUTEX_ERRORCHECK = PTHREAD_MUTEX_ERRORCHECK_NP,
  PTHREAD_MUTEX_DEFAULT = PTHREAD_MUTEX_NORMAL
#endif
It appears that whatever that flag (UNIX98) is, it's not set. When I comment the ifdef clause out of pthread.h, HB seems to compile that portion of libhb and is able to complete the overall compilation. I can't imagine that commenting out lines in system headers is a good thing, though.
maestro371
Novice

Post by maestro371 »

Fixed in 1824. Rock on. :)

Thanks!