frame rate jitters

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

brentris

frame rate jitters

Post by brentris »

Mediafork 0.8.0b1

Settings:
mp4
h.264, x264 (main)
2 pass
framerate: same as source

movies this happens on:
shiko funjatta (a Japanese movie about sumo)
The Awful Truth
Chappelle's Show (Season DVDs)

Hello,

I have major issues with framerate jittering. I mean that it looks like it is stuttering ever so slightly. It is NOT a CPU performance issue. My Powerbook G4/1.67ghz is plenty fast enough, the CPU% for Quicktime during playback is like 40%.

It is very strange, you can see it when the camera pans slowly, it just seems to stutter. There is no visible tearing of frames.

In shiko funjatta, it happens only during certain scenes. In Chappelle's Show & the awful truth, it happens all the time. It is VERY annoying, and I am afraid to rip new DVDs cuz they could end up w/ these problems.

What do you guys think?
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: frame rate jitters

Post by jbrjake »

Try setting the fps to 29.97.

This is not so much a bug, as the way HandBrake works. It doesn't know what material that's 29.976 can be pulled down to 23.976, so it has to assume it all can. So "Same as source" really means "perform 3:2 pulldown". This is confusing, admittedly. The reason you're getting jitters is that your source material is in whole or in part true 29.976 material that can't be pulled down from video to film speed.
JoeBob

Re: frame rate jitters

Post by JoeBob »

jbrjake wrote:Try setting the fps to 29.97.

This is not so much a bug, as the way HandBrake works. It doesn't know what material that's 29.976 can be pulled down to 23.976, so it has to assume it all can. So "Same as source" really means "perform 3:2 pulldown". This is confusing, admittedly. The reason you're getting jitters is that your source material is in whole or in part true 29.976 material that can't be pulled down from video to film speed.
So, what you're saying is that we need to specify the frame rate on all of our materials? I mean, Most of the movies on DVDs nowadays are 24fps and the tv shows are all 29.97 or 30fps. Should those be specifically selected?
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Yes.

Rodney
cbud
Bright Spark User

Post by cbud »

FYI - ffmpegX can give you the frame rate of your vob files