Trouble seeking in MKV files

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

MeltingIce

Trouble seeking in MKV files

Post by MeltingIce »

For some reason, after I encode a video, I've had multiple people report that the video either "bounces" (meaning it jumps backwards and forwards), or crashes their video player when trying to scroll through the movie. If the video player doesn't crash, when you click somewhere on the timeline, the time marker starts low and keeps increasing until it reaches the time you clicked on. Then it can take a minute or two for video to kick back in. I've tried a couple of different options, but nothing has worked. I get the same errors whether I use Handbrake for Mac or for Windows. Here's my encoding settings:

.mkv file with H.264 and AC3 5.1
Framerate same as source
Bitrate at 2000kbps
Slower Deinterlace
2-pass encoding with turbo first pass

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Could you have made the title any more vague? Replaced it with something useful.

HandBrake doesn't write cue markers into MKV files, and Perian doesn't follow them anyway. I think VLC has some issues with seeking in HB-generated MKVs that will be fixed in their next release. Anyway, saintdev would be the one to say for sure.
MeltingIce

Post by MeltingIce »

jbrjake wrote:Could you have made the title any more vague? Replaced it with something useful.

HandBrake doesn't write cue markers into MKV files, and Perian doesn't follow them anyway. I think VLC has some issues with seeking in HB-generated MKVs that will be fixed in their next release. Anyway, saintdev would be the one to say for sure.
I found a solution at another site actually. After encoding the video in Handbrake, if I send it though mkvmerge, then all my issues go away. :D
xyankee

Post by xyankee »

Handbrake has never outputted good MKV files, see my original post on the subject that was never really answered nor explained.

What OS are you running mkvmerge on, MeltingIce, and when you say "run it through" what exactly are you doing?

I'll try one of the newer builds to see if there's any improvement there...[/url]
MeltingIce

Post by MeltingIce »

xyankee wrote:Handbrake has never outputted good MKV files, see my original post on the subject that was never really answered nor explained.

What OS are you running mkvmerge on, MeltingIce, and when you say "run it through" what exactly are you doing?

I'll try one of the newer builds to see if there's any improvement there...[/url]
I am using Windows Vista to use mkvmerge. All I do is I add the file to mkvmerge, then have it output it without merging it with anything. Its basically a 2-click process and is very easy. I can show you with screenshots if you need me to.
xyankee

Post by xyankee »

MeltingIce wrote:I am using Windows Vista to use mkvmerge. All I do is I add the file to mkvmerge, then have it output it without merging it with anything. Its basically a 2-click process and is very easy. I can show you with screenshots if you need me to.
Sure, that'd be great. Maybe PM me so we don't clutter up this thread. Any idea what mkvmerge is actually doing to the files to repair them?
MeltingIce

Post by MeltingIce »

Well the screenshots might help other people out too, so I'm going to go ahead and post them here.

The first step is, if you haven't already, to download and install mkvmerge. You can get the Windows version here: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoo ... ml#windows

Next, run mkvmerge GUI. When you are in mkvmerge, click the add button as shown below.

Once the file has been added, make sure to change the output file name so you don't overwrite the file you are trying to edit!

Finally, hit Start Muxing and once it has finished processing the video, you're all set!

You can delete the original video now if you wish to conserve space.