Upscaling Problem

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

NMaverick

Upscaling Problem

Post by NMaverick »

When I try to upscale a video source by manually entering the dimensions, they are immediately reset to 1080p dimensions EXCEPT when I select a different profile than what I am using and then select my saved profile again. When I change the dimensions then, they stay as entered.
This also happens when I try to encode an entire folder with the same upscaled settings. I need to select the footage file by file and with the method mentioned above change the output dimensions.
The reason I want to upscale footage is for when I try to upload in Youtube in 4K to have minimum quality loss. I have found that even the original footage in 1080p gets awfully compressed after I upload it to youtube, but when it is upscaled at 4K (2160p) and then uploaded, the quality stays very good (although Youtube converts footage to 1440p).

In order to reproduce the problem one has to select a compression preset and 1080p video footage for compression and enter manually upscaled dimensions (e.g. 2160 on the second dimension field). Then when you click "Add" or select another tab, the dimensions reset to 1080p.
When you select the 1080p video footage for compression, then select an other compression profile and then your preferred profile, you can successfully change output dimensions to 2160p and add/compress the footage in the upscaled dimensions entered.

I am using the latest HandBrake Vesion 1.0.7 on Windows 10x64 build 1607 and i7-7700K CPU (I haven't tried QSV encoding yet), downloaded from handbrake.fr. There is no error produced and the encode log cannot show the issue mentioned, as the issue is with the passed parameters and not with the encoding itself.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Upscaling Problem

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31236
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Logs show what settings were used and what the video had for properties.

Upscaling is NOT SUPPORTED in the GUI. You have to use the command line version to upscale.
NMaverick

Post by NMaverick »

I am sorry, but you are wrong. I have managed to upscale my videos following the procedure I have described. I had no time today to make another compression and get the logs. I will do it tomorrow and post again.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Your logs should still be there unless you deleted them.
NMaverick

Post by NMaverick »

I made a quick encoding. Here's the pastebin link: https://pastebin.com/cwXQnQU0
NMaverick

Post by NMaverick »

Sorry, it was just the encoding log. Here is the job log: https://pastebin.com/sPhw4j6i
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Up scaling is not permitted in the UI. If you managed it, that's the bug. Not the fact that you can't.

This functionality is deliberately left to the CLI only.
NMaverick

Post by NMaverick »

Why is that? Why is this limiting the encoder's capabilities?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

It's only useful in a very small number of edge cases, yet a large number of users try to use it because they think 4K is better than 1080p when in actual fact, they are reducing the quality of the source by upscaling.

It's something we may support in the future with the new Picture settings panel design but that's some ways off yet.
NMaverick

Post by NMaverick »

I know that, but in my case it's the only way to have a descent quality file in youtube uploads and I really need it.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

It's only supported via the CLI right now. So your option is that or stick to exploiting a bug that will be getting resolved as it appears to impact beyond upscaling.
NMaverick

Post by NMaverick »

I'll stick to the bugged version until the capability is implemented properly, thank you.