[System Issue - Workaround] Handbrake no longer launching on Windows 10 after Update

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Lagamorph

[System Issue - Workaround] Handbrake no longer launching on Windows 10 after Update

Post by Lagamorph »

Please describe the problem in as much detail as possible:
Handbrake has been launching previously on Windows 10, however after installing the latest major Windows 10 update, The Windows 10 Creators Update, Handbrake will no longer launch. When attempting to launch the application the process appears momentarily in the Task Manager before immediately closing again.

I have installed Handbrake on another computer running Windows 10 without the Creators update and it launches normally.

What are the steps to reproduce this problem:
Attempt to launch Handbrake after installing the latest Windows 10 creators update

What version of HandBrake you are running:
The issue has been observed on Handbrake 1.0.3, 1.0.7 and the latest available Nightly Build. Symptoms are exactly the same on all versions.

What operating system and version and you running (e.g. OSX 10.11, Windows 7, Ubuntu 14):
Windows 10 - Version 1703 - OS Build 15063.13

Where did you download HandBrake from? handbrake.fr or somewhere else?
Handbrake.fr

If there was any error, exception or crash report displayed, please copy it and paste it here:
No error messages or crash reports displayed, the Handbrake program never opens and the process terminates.
Lagamorph

Re: Handbrake no longer launching on Windows 10 after Update

Post by Lagamorph »

That appears to be for a different issue. In that described issue the application launches, then crashes when attempting to open a file.
The issue I'm experiencing is that the application is not launching at all, there is no crash.

I have tried closing MSI Afterburner as was described in there, but it hasn't made any difference, Handbrake still does not open at all.
I'll have a look at my event logs though, see if there's anything more that I can spot in there.
Lagamorph

Post by Lagamorph »

Believe I've found a solution to the problem.
The solution was partially in that github, but as well as MSI Afterburner I had to close Rivatuner as well.

Looking through my event log I did see the same errors,
Faulting module name: d3d9.dll, version: 10.0.15063.0, time stamp: 0x631de416
But it looks like this is a wider problem with .Net based applications in general. My VPN client was also failing to launch with exactly the same symptoms as Handbrake, but closing MSI Afterburner and Rivatuner resolved this.
It appears that this is affecting a lot of people with various applications after the installation of the Windows 10 Creators Update and the latest Nvidia driver, so it's unclear if the issue is with the Windows Creators Update or the Nvidia drivers at the moment.

Here's a thread on the same issue with another application at Guru3D,
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php ... &styleid=1

And another, with an updated version of RivaTuner that should play nicer with the Creators update,
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php ... ost5415372
Might be useful for anyone else running an Nvidia graphics card and running the same issues. After I installed the updated RivaTuner version I could open Handbrake and other failing applications even whilst MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner were also running.
y2kse

Post by y2kse »

Subscribing to thread. I have an EVGA GTX 980, am running MSI Afterburner and Rivatuner and having the same issue after the Creators Update. Closing MSI Afterburner and Rivatuner lets HandBrake open.