Handbrake ignores part settings of custom presets

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Akos

Handbrake ignores part settings of custom presets

Post by Akos »

Handbrake ignores part of the saved and then loaded settings of a custom presets , i made a screen video to make you see it, this has been an issue since 2007 :

https://youtu.be/hKFVsrUEGRE
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Handbrake ignores part settings of custom presets

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31236
Akos

Post by Akos »

watch the video
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

I can't tell which version you are using in the video, so rather than ask 20 questions...
Akos

Post by Akos »

the beginning of the video , the very first second not only shows it, but i say it out loud , circling the mouse tip around the the about window popup of the software which version i am using and what computer i am using etc etc etc ==> which means .....you have not even tried to look at the video.... wow!!

also: there won't be 20 questions , it will be crystal clear and from your side easy replicable this issue.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Looks like it tries to keep the source aspect ratio when it should not.
Akos

Post by Akos »

You see,..... you had only one observation,.... and absolutely not even one single question:

Did i advice you wrongly to watch the video ?

this issue was already existing in 2007. No one seems to have noticed , and its 2017 now.

quite a testimony to who the users are, what they do and don't do with handbrake, but more so , a direct reflection of all the coders involved here: Not one single coder ever saw this fundamental basic feature NOT working?
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

I am looking right now at why it's working like that, it's clearly a bug. The whole code has been rewritten multiple time, so it could be the bug was either fixed and then reintroduced.

And right, no one saw this and no one reported. This is the wonderful world of open source software where no one gets paid.

(and btw, I am not rollin_eng)
Akos

Post by Akos »

But everyone wants to get the Lorries !

Anyway,... it would be nice in this day and time, where sadly Everyone with a digital DSLR is shooting 4k videos, to have this number one software become number one again . Right now there are not even presets that make any sense with the newer version. And this very difficult topic of anamorphic, should be a working and fully functioning part of this software.

i hope that my observation will trigger some programmers here with a small challenge , who fixes it first.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Ritsuka wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:27 pm (and btw, I am not rollin_eng)
This is good to know, because if you were me we would both have problems.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Fixed in https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/ ... 526c3ef1fa , try a nightly build tomorrow.
Akos

Post by Akos »

....This is good to know, because if you were me we would both have problems.....

??? i do not get that comment at all....
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Just a joke.
Akos

Post by Akos »

i only know Nightly builds from Magic Lantern software ,.... sorry.... i am a pro user.....not a programmer on github . ..... i fear i won't be able to know how to download an use it on this platform here.--unless it will be a normal update
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

You can download nightly builds here:

https://handbrake.fr/nightly.php
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Akos wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:39 pm i hope that my observation will trigger some programmers here with a small challenge , who fixes it first.
Historically, there have been, at best, 4 or 5 active developers working on HandBrake at any point in time. And all work on it in their spare time. Nobody gets paid for it.

We welcome bug reports, but require everyone's assistance to optimize our time in finding and fixing bugs. This is why there is a big read banner at the top of the forum page linking you to the list of information we require and why rollin_eng politely reminded you of what we require.

In order to get the most done and make the best use of my time, I have stopped playing the 20 questions game with people to extract the necessary information and I do not even read forum threads that are missing what is required (I've been doing this for 7 years now and a few others have been at it longer). I just do not have the time for it.

I fixed your bug because Ritsuka had the time to follow up with you and did the footwork necessary to track down the source of the problem. He deserves kudos for that, but nobody should expect that level of support around here.
Akos

Post by Akos »

Thanks for explaining. I am NOT expecting anything here. I thought YOU would appreciate that there was a serious BUG being pointed out to You. But i guess you are not happy about it at all....
Your Rules do Not make any sense to me, as the video showed in only a minute what was the bug. Your way of doing things, 20 questions, logs and so on, would have taken YOU ( if you even would have considered it something to care about, and as you stated clearly here, you mostly do NOT care , about your own little baby here) , it would have taken YOU at least a few days. And yes, Ritsuka who fixed it should get more then Kudos ! Thanks so much Ritsuka ! .. You all have made a very serious software here, i am a bit surprised you seem to say you don't even read through here. Why do you do it all all then, have a forum etc etc ? if you say you do NOT care .... How come you do Not start selling it ? anyway...
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Thanks for reporting the bug, but I think we'll be better off without this kind of verbal abuse in the future, even if HandBrake has a couple more bugs as a result.