Unable to write to the presets file.

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

MEA707
New User

Post by MEA707 »

Using the current version of HandBrake, whenever I try to save a preset, I get the following error message:

The details section below may indicate why this error has occured.
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at HandBrakeWPF.Services.Presets.Factories.JsonPresetFactory.CreateHbPreset(Preset export, HBConfiguration config) in C:\HandBrake\hbworkspace\workspace\Release_WindowsGui64\HandBrake\win\CS\HandBrakeWPF\Services\Presets\Factories\JsonPresetFactory.cs:line 520
at HandBrakeWPF.Services.Presets.PresetService.SavePresetFiles() in C:\HandBrake\hbworkspace\workspace\Release_WindowsGui64\HandBrake\win\CS\HandBrakeWPF\Services\Presets\PresetService.cs:line 660

The preset saves in the list, but only for the session. When I close and reopen, the preset is gone.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

The strange thing is this file location address does not exist anywhere on my PC, so that might be the problem?
tranzloop
New User

Re: Unable to write to the presets file.

Post by tranzloop »

Hi I am experiencing this problem as well. I have managed to deduce that a preset can be written to the PRESET file as long as I don't use MPEG-4 as the video codec. This happens regardless of any other setting including container type. I have tried deleting the PRESET file with no success. Also created a user preset with H.264 as the codec and attempted to update it to MPEG-4. This also failed with the same error: -

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at HandBrakeWPF.Services.Presets.Factories.JsonPresetFactory.CreateHbPreset(Preset export, HBConfiguration config) in C:\HandBrake\hbworkspace\workspace\Release_WindowsGui64\HandBrake\win\CS\HandBrakeWPF\Services\Presets\Factories\JsonPresetFactory.cs:line 520
at HandBrakeWPF.Services.Presets.PresetService.SavePresetFiles() in C:\HandBrake\hbworkspace\workspace\Release_WindowsGui64\HandBrake\win\CS\HandBrakeWPF\Services\Presets\PresetService.cs:line 660

This looks like a bug to me :?
tranzloop
New User

Re: Unable to write to the presets file.

Post by tranzloop »

Okay, so just grabbed the Nightly Build and the problem is resolved. Sorry to post before checking.