[Fixed] Range type "frame" not stopping at end frame

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

ehugoj

[Fixed] Range type "frame" not stopping at end frame

Post by ehugoj »

I love using Handbrake for a variety of tasks. But the majority of those tasks involve cutting segments of video using the Range "Frames" to specify a very precise start and stop point for the output video. However this feature is not working correctly in the latest version. I tried finding a post on this topic in this forum and in the GitHub bug report forum but didn't find one. If I missed it, please point it out to me.

What I am doing: I set the Range type to "Frames", then put the Start frame, and End frame. (The display of "Duration" seems accurate.)

What happens: The resulting output video starts at the desired frame, but does does not end at the desired frame.

My suspicions: This is my first time analyzing an Activity Log, but it seems Handbrake is looking at the value in "End Frame" and adding it to "Start Frame". So instead of "Start" and "End", it is being processed as "Start" and "Number of frames desired".

Why I suspect that: In the Activity Log you will see I wanted to "Start" at 36380 and "End" at 37009 (roughly 20 seconds). Further in the log you will see "expecting 37009 video frames" and further on "got 18934 frames, 37009 expected".
Additionally, after looking over the log, I tried an experiment by using "Start" 36380 and "End" 629 (which is 36380-37009). Even though the "Duration" was a negative value, there were no errors when I started encoding and the output file was what I wanted.

Running Handbrake version 1.0.1 2016122900 64bit

Windows 10 Version 1607

Or, maybe there is something I am missing or doing wrong? I would appreciate any observations or help in this regard.

And of course, my thanks to the many volunteers who support this project.

Activity log: http://pastebin.com/j7DfAuwb
ehugoj

Re: Range type "frame" not stopping at end frame

Post by ehugoj »

No one responded. :| But someone noticed. :)

Just updated to 1.0.2 (2017012200) - 64bit, and the problem I observed with the "End Frame" is gone. Video encoding starts and stops where it should.

Thank you for fixing the bug. :D
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: [Fixed] Range type "frame" not stopping at end frame

Post by s55 »

Marked as such.

Yes, we see threads here. Don't always respond but we do see them. It's a volunteer project afterall