[Fixed] Nightly - VP9 doesn't work

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

senthiel

[Fixed] Nightly - VP9 doesn't work

Post by senthiel »

I'm new to conversion and quite curious, so I wanted to test the new VP9 stuff and compare some convertions.
All the other convertions worked though. I used the same input file, just changed several codec options.

Please describe the problem in as much detail as possible:
I just tried to convert to a VP9 codec using several different settings. None of them worked.
The video source was a nvdia shadowplay recording that I trimmed using avs video remaker.

What are the steps to reproduce this problem:
Choose input video from the source explained above, choose a vp9 preset and click Start Encoding.

What version of HandBrake you are running:
Nightly HandBrake-20160628-05c142a_x86_64-Win_GUI.exe

What operating system and version and you running (e.g. OSX 10.11, Windows 7, Ubuntu 14):
Windows 10 64bits

If there was any exception or error displayed, please copy it and paste it here:
I don't see any error besides the msg that the queue finished with error, but it doesn't tell me what the error was.

Please include the scan or encode log:
try1
try2
try3
try4
try5

I actually did more tries than I pasted above, but here goes the activity log (not sure if it helps:
activity log

ps: ah, I also have the windows h.265 DLLs provided here in the forum added in the nightly build folder. They also worked when I tried them.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Nightly - VP9 doesn't work

Post by mduell »

Thank god, time to put it out to pasture.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

What happens if you select another encoder?

I ask because of this line:

Code: Select all

[18:37:10] encvorbis: opening libvorbis
[18:37:10] encavcodecInit: VP9 encoder
[18:37:10] encavcodecInit: avcodec_find_encoder failed
That says the encoder isn't present or loaded. I've never checked to see if libvpx is distributed with the nightlies, because the encoder hasn't interested me.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

New Windows nightly builds are up now that should solve the issue. In short, we recently updated our cross-compilation toolchain (how we build much of Windows HandBrake on Linux) and VP9 seems to have a bug interacting with the threading library. In lieu of a better workaround, threads are currently disabled for libvpx only, on Windows.