handbrake crashes at end with closed caption burn mp4 file

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

handb256

handbrake crashes at end with closed caption burn mp4 file

Post by handb256 »

Please describe the problem in as much detail as possible: creating mp4 file, any preset, closed caption burn in, crashes at very end after reaching 100% but before indicating muxing has begun. Also occurred in previous versions. Nightly build doesn't crash, but only burned in small amount of captions, rest of captions (most of them) just not there. If I output to mkv with closed captions selected but not burned in and then output from the mkv file to mp4 with ssa captions burned in, it works. Also, output to mp4 with closed captions not burned in works. Not a problem with vobsub. Doesn't matter if running other apps or not. Generally don't run other apps at same time or maybe path finder app.

What are the steps to reproduce this problem:
Output setting mp4 from disk or iso file, doesn't matter which preset - used normal, high profile and universal. select closed caption and burned in.
What version of HandBrake you are running: 0.10.5 x86_64 (2016021100) and nightly build HandBrake-20160524211207-e8c37c8-master-osx

What operating system and version and you running (e.g. OSX 10.11, Windows 7, Ubuntu 14): OS X 10.7

If there was any exception or error displayed, please copy it and paste it here:
Crashed Thread: 20
Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000
full crash report http://pastebin.com/cRWfYX0q

Please include the scan or encode log: http://pastebin.com/9jQwz7EZ

also here's the log of the nightly build run which did not crash but only included some of the burned in closed captions. The rest were missing.
http://pastebin.com/xC79VkVE

Code: Select all

Paste your log here between the code brackets, or use a pastebin website. 
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: handbrake crashes at end with closed caption burn mp4 file

Post by JohnAStebbins »

The crash is a known issue in the release. The dropped subtitles in the nightly build was due to a lack of test coverage :wink: It'll be fixed in the next nightly build. Thanks for pointing it out.
handb256

Re: handbrake crashes at end with closed caption burn mp4 file

Post by handb256 »

Thank very much. The newer nightly build (Version 20160525202537-ec2e327-master) places all the captions without crashing. I very much appreciate what you do!

If I may make a small suggestion, if you do have control over how the captions look... that is I'm not sure if it's coming from my disk or your program.. if the font were simpler and thicker (the white part) - perhaps a slabserif type? with a black border instead of large drop shadow, it would be easier for me to read. As I say, I don't know how much control you have over that.

Once again, thanks for all you do.