Encoding with nightly build produces incomplete file

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

kurtunderhay

Encoding with nightly build produces incomplete file

Post by kurtunderhay »

Please describe the problem in as much detail as possible:
Using the nightly build (20160424121951-7060fac-master (2016042901) - 64bit Version), encoding produces an incomplete file.
Encoding the same source with the latest release version produces a complete file.

What are the steps to reproduce this problem:
Select source.
Use Normal profile.
Specify output filename.
Set seconds "from" and "to" around the problematic timestamp (just to reduce log information, encoding of full title produces the same results).
Add to queue.
Start queue.

What version of HandBrake you are running:
HandBrake 0.10.5.0 - 64bit Version
HandBrake Nightly 20160424121951-7060fac-master (2016042901) - 64bit Version

What operating system and version and you running (e.g. OSX 10.11, Windows 7, Ubuntu 14):
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Please include the scan or encode log:

Release version scan log:

Code: Select all

http://pastebin.com/auYSXnz1 
Release version encode log:

http://pastebin.com/k8UfD9rg 
Nightly activity log:

http://pastebin.com/JMAVyQRv 
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Encoding with nightly build produces incomplete file

Post by rollin_eng »

Your source has errors and it looks like 0.10.5 was able to skip the error but the nightly is stopping on it.

While sometimes one might be preferred over the other the best solution is to try to fix your source.

Try ripping your source to disk first.
kurtunderhay

Post by kurtunderhay »

Source already ripped to disk, encoding from directory on hard disk produces same result.
I have no control over the source. Sure the source may contain an error, I think probably the general expectation is that if the source is complete and playable the encoded file should be complete and playable (I don't want to start a flame war with this speculation on popular opinion but I think it's a fair statement). As you say, 0.10.5 can skip it and continue and produce a result which matches what happens when playing the source.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

What are you using to rip your disk?
kurtunderhay

Post by kurtunderhay »

I don't really want to enumerate the tools that I'm using here but the result is the same whatever tool is used.
Does it matter though? I think the relevant point here is that the encode works OK with 0.10.5 but not with nightly, using the same source.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Not really, you cant really expect the software to work with every piece of rubbish thrown at it.

Just because a previous version did the wrong thing by ignoring it you want to keep that bug in the software?

Now could there be options to skip/ignore errors, maybe, but they might take a ton of work to code/test/implement.

So its easier to prefer non-broken input.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Regardless of your oponion, it's ultimately up to the Dev team on how we handle errors / reports.

I'll let John comment if he wishes since he is redoing the sync engine at the moment. It may even fix or handle the problem better.
kurtunderhay

Post by kurtunderhay »

rollin_eng wrote:Not really, you cant really expect the software to work with every piece of rubbish thrown at it.

Just because a previous version did the wrong thing by ignoring it you want to keep that bug in the software?

Now could there be options to skip/ignore errors, maybe, but they might take a ton of work to code/test/implement.

So its easier to prefer non-broken input.
Agreed it's easier to prefer non-broken input - users don't always have this level of control over the input though. Arguably it's easier not to write any of this code at all.
And yes agreed, if a previous version had a bug it shouldn't be retained in later versions just because that's how earlier versions worked.
I don't think this can be argued as a bug though or necessarily as wrong handling in v0.10.5, it's difficult to position it as desirable behaviour that 93 minutes of perfectly fine video should be dropped just because of a problematic frame or two, which frames are handled just fine by an older version of the software and by software and hardware media players too. The source disk with the same frame/continuity problem plays fine albeit with a very small jump, the ripped disk plays exactly the same, and the output from 0.10.5 plays exactly the same as the original source. It's not graceful, elegant or desirable to discard the remaining 93 minutes because of a single frame continuity issue, and it's not necessary either as we can see in the output from 0.10.5.

In any case I spotted a difference between nightly and release, the output of nightly in my opinion not being desirable and I reported it.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Obviously as s55 said its up to the devs (and even then it might not be as the libs they use may force them to do certain things).

And while you don't mind a dropped frame or 2 other people might, and that very small jump can create many problems that aren't aware to the end viewer.

As you don't want to mention what ripper you use another option might be to remux your source which might help fix your broken input.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

kurtunderhay wrote:I don't really want to enumerate the tools that I'm using here but the result is the same whatever tool is used.
Does it matter though?
Yes. Some tools stop on errors, some fix errors, and some pass them on. Toolchain is critically important.
kurtunderhay

Post by kurtunderhay »

Take it as stipulated that the dropped frames exist in the source. I can't imagine any user would rather have 93 minutes of missing video, than a video output as framewise-complete as the input with the same dropped frames as the source.

The ripping toolchain is not relevant - multiple different tools produce exactly the same output as each other, as disk image, straight uncompressed unmuxed MKV and rip to folder. Output from ripping is bytewise identical to source disk barring the possibility of an SHA-3 collision.

The underlying issue is the treatment of imperfect source, which treatment from the perspective of user expectation in 0.10.5 is acceptable and in nightly is not.
Last edited by kurtunderhay on Tue May 10, 2016 6:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

kurtunderhay wrote:The ripping toolchain is not relevant - multiple different tools produce exactly the same output as each other, as disk image, straight uncompressed unmuxed MKV and rip to folder.
Can you encode your mkv and post the log, i'm curious if the error is the same, thanks.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

kurtunderhay wrote:The underlying issue is the treatment of imperfect source, which treatment in 0.10.5 is acceptable and in nightly is not.
The behavior with a broken source is regarded as undefined, so I doubt you're going to find much support here for getting a specific behavior for your broken sources.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Again, that's for the development team to decide. So please, leave stuff like this for a formal response.
kurtunderhay

Post by kurtunderhay »

Updated previous reply to clarify position.