[Invalid] Handbrake uses 100% of CPU

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

tranowme
New User

[Invalid] Handbrake uses 100% of CPU

Post by tranowme »

Ever since the upgrade from version 0.9, Handbrake runs the CPU straight up to 100% usage (with no other processes running) when encoding.
This quickly runs the CPU temperature to above 90ºC and causes a overheating shutdown. A mother sized Cooler Master fixed the overheating, but Handbrake will still hog all the CPU if I let it.
I know encoding is CPU intensive, still, no program should ever take up 100% of the CPU all of the time.
This behaviour occurs when encoding any file type, of any size to either mp4 or mkv and using any settings.

I solved the problem using the Advanced tab and adding " :threads=2 " to the x264 Encoder Options string to restrict the CPU usage.

This solves the problem but I believe it needs looking at... maybe "threads" should be added as a default, or perhaps the program just needs modifying?

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service Pack 1
Intel Core i7-4790K CPU 4.00GHz
32GB RAM
HandBrake 0.10.5.0
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Re: Handbrake uses 100% of CPU

Post by Ritsuka »

Nope, that's exactly like it should work. If you computer overheats it's not HandBrake fault.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

For most people, making full use of the CPU is the desired option. Handbrake actually runs at a reduced priority, so other tasks CAN use the CPU, but it will run at full speed if there is no normal-priority task to get in the way.

Any machine you plan on doing encoding on should be "up to the task", with adequate cooling. My encoding machines have dual radiator 120mm cooling systems, and they hit 60c if I don't turn on the extra case vent fan. 90c indicates that you didn't have enough heat dissipation to begin with.
PsiGhost

Post by PsiGhost »

srsly fix your cooling if you dont want it to overheat.
-reapply thermal paste
-reseat your cooler and avoid air bubbles
-add a front intake and back exhaust fan

my i5-6400 never reaches 40°C with a cheap EKL Alpenföhn Sella, while converting and playing video games at the same time. Also as already mentioned, handbrake runs at a reduced priority. This is very nice, I can stil play my games with a minimal performance hit and convert in the background.
expat_mike
New User

Re: [Invalid] Handbrake uses 100% of CPU

Post by expat_mike »

Maybe this will help others with CPU heat issues. I have an FX8350 (8 core) CPU with a pretty decent Scythe cooler on top however the enclosure is a relatively slim case and when encoding, the temperature went up to 75 C or slightly more and Windows crashed on many occasions. I finally tried the :threads=X option and that seems to have cracked it. At :threads=1 the max temp (using Coretemp) rose to 58 C and at :threads=2 it flattened out at 65 C. I jumped to :threads=4 as a test and the average high temp was 71 C - 73 C after several minutes. For my form factor this seems to be the max for performance, stability and CPU core temp so I'll leave it at that for now. With a 125 watt CPU, CoreTemp gives a good indication of load vs temp for others wanting to find the 'sweet spot' for encoding. The only thing I don't understand is lower power CPU's from Intel & AMD seem to self limit the load and temperature compared with 6-8 core performance processors and you can run HB flat out without temperature issues albeit they take far longer to do.

:D
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Is your Scythe cooler actually rated for 125watts? It'll need to be a monster heat-sink.
To be honest, when getting up that high, closed loop water coolers are the best option.

Also, may want to make sure you've got good ventiliation in your case. (Larger front and rear fans, Top as well if possible) Particualry with that much heat being vented.

AMD spec their parts with lower mac temp than Intel Parts. 75C is a non issue on Intel and in theory really shouldn't be an issue on AMD. I know many people run them in the 80C range without problems.
I'm not sure why they have their termal limits set to low.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

When I see posts like this I wonder 'Why bother buying the CPU if you can't use it?'
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Where the output of the CPU cooler goes is VERY important, as s55 indicates. I have a large case and large cooler on my system, 120MM intake and exhaust fans... Temps stay in check, but..... when encoding, adding an extra 80MM sucking hot air out of the case lowers the CPU temp by 5-10C.

My Dell doesn't have those issues - the CPU cooler output is ducted right out of the case, which might be something to look at with whatever cooler you use!