MediaFork Missing Average bitrate (kbps) In Grey Under Targt

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Which would you rather keep using based on the current state of MediaFork 0.8.0b1 & Handbrake 0.7.1?

MediaFork 0.8.0b1
50%
Handbrake 0.7.1
50%
MPEG Streamclip 1.8
No votes

Total votes: 6

FutureMedia

MediaFork Missing Average bitrate (kbps) In Grey Under Targt

Post by FutureMedia »

I have seven bug fix requests that I wish you would make fundamentally. I am a long time user - have encoded thousands of mp4s with Handbrake. I can't understand the best place to make this request so please feel fre to delete this post if you don't like it here.

1. In MediaFork the Average bitrate is no longer dynamic in the grey area below an active Target size quantity.

2. Could you add an interactive grey Target Size to when Average bitrate size is active please?

3. Make 2-pass encoding the default checkbox ON

4. Make Framerate default 29.97 instead of "same as source" because when you encode with "same as source" it isn't "same as source" it's 24fps.

5. Please Please Please switch the Deinterlace Picture checkbox default to ON CHECKED ON ON ON ON ON PLEASE for the love of GOD.

6. Is is hard to make the aspect of HDTV Images 640 x 360 instead of 624 x 352? What's up with that bug? Same problem with SDTV. Why can't it be 640 x 480 instead of 544 x 400?

7. If there's a DVD IMage mounted, MediaFork won't let you open an image somewere else so you have to quit the application and relaunch it before you can be presented with a real browse dialog box.

I'd say MediaFork is a definite step BACKWARDS from Handbrake so far. Why turn your back on a proven brand name? I don't get it.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: MediaFork Missing Average bitrate (kbps) In Grey Under T

Post by jbrjake »

FutureMedia wrote:1. In MediaFork the Average bitrate is no longer dynamic in the grey area below an active Target size quantity.
It actually sort of is. You just have to click around a bit before it detects that a new target size was set. It's on my local list of bugs to add to the Trac eventually.
2. Could you add an interactive grey Target Size to when Average bitrate size is active please?
Sounds reasonable. Added to my local list of feature requests.
3. Make 2-pass encoding the default checkbox ON
No, because then we'd have to deal with users complaining that their encodes are taking twice as long as they used to.

You can set it yourself when we release the next beta, with presets.
4. Make Framerate default 29.97 instead of "same as source" because when you encode with "same as source" it isn't "same as source" it's 24fps.
Ponder this: a lot of people don't encode much 29.97 fps video, and rip a lot more soft-telecined films.

Now imagine we change the default. A lot of people won't look, and will complain that the file size has ballooned. Or, if they set a target file size, they'll complain that their picture quality has gone down.

Now, imagine how [Censored] they'll be when we explain that we're purposefully bloated the default output in order to satisfy you?

This is certainly open to discussion, though. Our admin, rhester, does a lot of hard-telecined material.

But quite frankly, this, like a default for two-pass, is best handled by user presets.

The screwed up autodetection is already listed as bug in the Trac.
5. Please Please Please switch the Deinterlace Picture checkbox default to ON CHECKED ON ON ON ON ON PLEASE for the love of GOD.
NO. Give me on good reason why we should, by default, drop half the source's content.
6. Is is hard to make the aspect of HDTV Images 640 x 360 instead of 624 x 352? What's up with that bug?
HDTV images? huh?

And you might want to google "mpeg mod16" to understand why 352 and not 360.
7. If there's a DVD IMage mounted, MediaFork won't let you open an image somewere else so you have to quit the application and relaunch it before you can be presented with a real browse dialog box.
I'm not sure what you're saying here. Open an image somewhere else? You mean you've launched MF, pointed it at a mounted image of a DVD, and now you want to change the browse location to another mounted disk image and it won't let you without a relaunch? Try clicking the radio button back to browsing by detected volume, then click the DVD Folder/Image button again, and the Browse button will be active again.

I'll file this away as a minor bug to add to the Trac.
I'd say MediaFork is a definite step BACKWARDS from Handbrake so far.
So use HandBrake 0.7.1 forever. If you're unhappy about the beta, nothing's stopping you from joining development. Or are you only here to complain and beg for features?

How exactly is it a big step backwards? The lack of dual audio support, something the MediaFork team didn't break in the first place?
Why turn your back on a proven brand name? I don't get it.
Sigh...try reading. rhester posted a full explanation last night, which is advertised at the top of every page on the forum.

We used the name MediaFork because we couldn't get in touch with titer and had no right to use his name and icon without permission, when for all we knew he was only taking a hiatus and could continue development at any time.

If you bothered to read, or even look around you, you might note that we're in the midst of a migration back to the HandBrake name.