Only encodes first 4:56min of video

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

diesieben07

Only encodes first 4:56min of video

Post by diesieben07 »

With certain input files (.avi containing DV, imported with Windows over FireWire) HandBrake correctly reports the length of the video, correctly displays the percentage when encoding, but only ever outputs the first 4:56min of the video.
Just to make sure that it's not x264 I also tested with Intel QSV and the nightly build of HandBrake, same results.
Weird thing is: If I just remux the avi file, copying over both the video and the audio stream, HandBrake "likes" the file again and renders the full length.

Log for the x264 run: http://pastebin.com/CiQH9fGP
Log for the QSV run: http://pastebin.com/TnktGKWm

Input (sorry, big, but that's what DV does...): https://www.dropbox.com/s/em8f9uzdsvrbf ... t.avi?dl=0
Output using x264: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iy1t7wnzm0uu6 ... 4.mp4?dl=0
Output using Intel QSV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i7mhvqix95qxj ... v.mp4?dl=0

Thanks for any input.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Only encodes first 4:56min of video

Post by Woodstock »

AVI files larger than 4GB are non-standard, and handbrake will not read them. Converting them to something else is the only choice.
diesieben07

Post by diesieben07 »

I know that and it was my initial suspicion, too. But the avi file I used in the test posted here is just over 1gb.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

The AVI spec is limited to 1GB files. There are a variety of hacky extensions to stuff more data in files named AVI, but HB's libraries don't support them.
diesieben07

Post by diesieben07 »

Ok then, thanks for the cleanup. That's a shame, I really like Handbrake.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

You could use some muxing tool that supports non-standard AVI to remux into a container that supports the video you want to feed to HB. mkvmerge may be an option.
diesieben07

Post by diesieben07 »

Yes, that's what I am doing right now. Just remuxing video and audio streams into a new .avi (yes!) via XMediaRecode. The resulting .avi files work fine in HB, if there is anyone interested I will upload those, too, but uploading 1 gig takes a few hours with my connection.

But that's a bit of a bummer, because the files are up to 3 hours long, meaning the files are 20 gigs each. And the GUI of XMediaRecode is a bit broken so I have to re-select "copy-streams" every time, meaning batching is a pain in the butt. And I have ~100 of these files.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Huh, that's weird. I guess the lib supports one non-standard way of doing large AVI, but not another.
diesieben07

Post by diesieben07 »

Figures.
Anyways, this boils down to windows being [Censored] and producing invalid avi files (a format they invented themselves). I'll look for a better FireWire importer that uses a more modern container.

Thank you. Closed.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

You might do a google search for "mkvtoolnix". I ran some tests last month, and the merge function seemed to handle converting AVI files to MKV well enough. But, I didn't have any oversized AVI files to test with.
diesieben07

Post by diesieben07 »

Oh I know mkvtoolnix. Trust me, I spend ages figuring out the workflow for this already, I've got everyone and their mother's video software on my computer now (not really).
mkvmerge (the thing below mkvtoolnix, as you know) doesn't seem to like the files either. The remuxed ones (via XMediaRecode) work fine there as well though.
I think I just have to bite the bullet and remux them all, which is a pain because I only have a 1tb hdd and it's almost full from all the videos so I can't do them all at once.
Anyways, I'm gonna stop complaining.

Edit: For anyone still interested, here's the remuxed version. This one works fine with HB. I'll dig through them with MediaInfoGui and try to find the difference.
mirekk36

Post by mirekk36 »

But when we use older version of HandBrake (0.9.9.1 32-bit) there we can convert such big AVI files, why ? It only don't work correctly i newer versions :( Of course there it is a much slower rate while conversion, but it convert any BIG AVI file between 1-4GB (I have tested it on my many files)

Next but similar problem is with some raw *.MTS files. For example if my JVC camcoder GZX-GX1 will divide clip into two files, so I have problem with converting the second one with newer versions of Handbrake. But if I use older version (as above 0.9.9.1) ... then all will work fine.

So maybe there is some bug ?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Reading libraries were changed/updated.

Start a new thread WITH AN ENCODING LOG for your second MTS issue.