[Confirmed] Problem with converting ProRes with 10.0

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

jasonpatrick72

[Confirmed] Problem with converting ProRes with 10.0

Post by jasonpatrick72 »

Hey Guys!

This is my first time posting here so I hope I can find some help.

I am part of a press group where we receive trailers and clips for upcoming films in order to promote them. A lot of these files are provided in ProRes directly from the studio themselves. Before the 10.0 update, I've never had a problem with final encode. But I've noticed since I've updated, I get these weird artifacts in the encode. Its shows a few random rectangles in the image when it cuts to a different shot. Heres a screenshot of what I'm talking about.

Like I said before, I'm using the same settings I did before i updated and I've never had this problem. So I figure its has to be something in the update causing the problem.

If anyone knows how to fix this, I would appreciate it. Otherwise I may need to downgrade to the last version of handbrake.

Heres the activity log.
http://pastebin.com/UEQe7g05

Thanks,
Jason
Last edited by jasonpatrick72 on Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
moneymatt4life
Veteran User

Re: Problem with converting ProRes with 10.0

Post by moneymatt4life »

... i won't be of any help regarding the main issue, as there isn't any error in the log...

but i will say that you shouldn't use AAC(avcodec)... especially if the output is intended to be heard by other people :P in some cases, it won't sound like garbage... but to be safe, just use AAC(FDK)... EDIT: and is there a particular reason why you're using the mono track instead of the stereo track?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Moving to bugs.

Are you able to provide a sample that doesn't violate anyone's copyright?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Or a really short sample, like 10 seconds or so.
jasonpatrick72

Post by jasonpatrick72 »

moneymatt4life wrote:EDIT: and is there a particular reason why you're using the mono track instead of the stereo track?
Im glad you pointed that out. Most of the trailers contain anywhere from 4-8 channels. Each channel contains a different audio element (EX. Isolated Dialogue, Music, Sound FX, or a Final Stereo mix etc...) It looks like I might have accidentally selected the mono dialogue track instead of the final stereo mix :P
jasonpatrick72

Post by jasonpatrick72 »

Rodeo wrote:Or a really short sample, like 10 seconds or so.
I noticed this problem a lot when I converted the recently released Ant-Man trailer. But I've already deleted it. I can re-download and encode again to provide a sample.
moneymatt4life
Veteran User

Post by moneymatt4life »

by sample, i assume they mean losslessly cut out the part where you're getting the artifacts... not an encode with the artifacts present so no one knows what's going on with the decoder/whatever :P
Deleted User 11865

Is there really a place distributing film trailers in ProRes?
jasonpatrick72

Post by jasonpatrick72 »

Rodeo wrote:Is there really a place distributing film trailers in ProRes?
Yeah. But you need to be a member of the press to access it. But it's usually only Disney that distributes then in ProRes. Everyone else usually posts them in DVCPro.
jasonpatrick72

Post by jasonpatrick72 »

UPDATE: So I Re-Installed the previous version of Handbrake and tried to encode the same trailer again. This time I had no artifacts. So it has to be something with the 10.0 update. Until this is fixed it looks like I'll have to settle for an older version. :( Anyway here is a comparison screenshot.

Old Version (0.9.9 - Top) VS 10.0 (Bottom)

Image Image
Elan

Post by Elan »

This remind me an old bug related with multithreading decoding when ProRes was added to FFMPEG about 3 years ago.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22599&hilit=Elan+prores
Deleted User 11865

Yes, but that one's been fixed. Seems like a new bug.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: [Confirmed] Problem with converting ProRes with 10.0

Post by s55 »

Marked as confirmed.