[Fixed] CPU usage on Ubuntu with 0.10.0

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

purple52

[Fixed] CPU usage on Ubuntu with 0.10.0

Post by purple52 »

I just upgraded from handbrake 0.9.9+dfsg-2~2.gbpa4c3e9build1 to handbrake-gtk 0.10.0ppa1~trusty1 on Ubuntu 14.04. Whilst encoding, Handbrake seems to be hogging the CPU making other applications, including the Handbrake GUI itself, very slow. The problem goes away when the encode job finishes. This did not happen on the previous version.
  • handbrake-gtk 0.10.0ppa1~trusty1 - installed from ppa:stebbins/handbrake-releases
  • Ubuntu 14.04
  • Activity log: http://pastebin.com/3F7mMcwj
  • Other applications running: Chrome
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: CPU usage on Ubuntu with 0.10.0

Post by JohnAStebbins »

HandBrake is *designed* to use as much CPU as possible. If the system is unresponsive, this is a system problem. Linux usually schedules short duration user interactive processes above long duration CPU intensive processes (e.g. HandBrake) so that the system doesn't feel sluggish. If this is not working, complain to ubuntu. Perhaps they've substituted a substandard scheduler or you've manually changed your scheduler?
mod16
Experienced

Post by mod16 »

It could be this issue: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=30021

@purple52: Try disabling the system tray icon (the little icon which shows you the progress percentage) in the HandBrake preferences.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

@mod16, thanks for reminding me of that. Completely slipped my mind.

If this is (still) the problem, I think it is finally time to remove AppIndicator support all together. Ubuntu is such crap. This bug (and the Overlay Scrollbar causes black widget backgrounds) bugs have existed in Ubuntu for damn near 2 years with multiple bug reports filed against them and they have done nothing.

As I indicated in the other thread, I got fed up with Ubuntu quite some time back and removed it from all my systems. I highly recommend others do the same. There are plenty of better options out there.
purple52

Post by purple52 »

Thanks! Disabling the system tray icon immediately solves the problem. Enabling it slows the system to a crawl again, so pretty clear this is the cause.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Ok, ubuntu's AppIndicator is a useless POS and appearently they have no intention of ever fixing it. So I'm removing it from HandBrake.

Thanks for reporting back.
randomreuben
Veteran User

Post by randomreuben »

Slightly off topic. What Linux distribution do you use? Is your opinion of Ubuntu still the same if it's a spin, like lubuntu or xubuntu? I'm not starting a fanboy war, and you can PM me the answer if you prefer, but I would be curious to learn what might be considered a better Linux distribution.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

I use fedora with gnome shell. Mostly this is because I like the development tools on fedora and I've been using fedora pretty much since it's first release (old dog syndrome). The mingw tools provided in the fedora repo have always worked better for me than other distrobutions and they keep most development libraries up to date.

But fedora isn't a good fit for everyone. They are more strict about what goes into the official repo and getting media apps installed takes more effort due to fedora's aversion to potential patent and copyright violations. I use the unofficial rpmfusion repo for most things that can not be had in the official repo.