[Invalid] Crashes when source is selected

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

jmiller0628

[Invalid] Crashes when source is selected

Post by jmiller0628 »

This appears to be similar to another post but it did not help at all. Log below, sorry for the short info, it crashes after selecting "Folder", "File", or "Drive".

Description
Upgraded via handbrake program prompt
Handbrake started crashing after selecting "Folder", "File", or "Drive".
Restarted computer and tried again, same issue.
Went back to version 9.9 and it worked without issue.
Downloaded Nightly build version 6551 and still crashes after selecting "Folder", "File", or "Drive".
Also, I tried running the program as Administrator and that did not work either.

HandBrake svn6551 (Nightly Build) - 64bit Version
OS: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 - 64bit
CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor
Ram: 16127 MB,
GPU Information:
AMD Radeon HD 6450 - 9.12.0.0
ATI Radeon HD 4250 - 8.970.100.3000
Screen: 1280x1024
Temp Dir: C:\Users\Josh\AppData\Local\Temp\
Install Dir: C:\Program Files (x86)\Handbrake
Data Dir: C:\Users\Josh\AppData\Roaming\HandBrake\HandBrake\0.0.0.6551

-------------------------------------------
No log data available... Log data will show here after you scan a source.

Open the log file directory to get previous log files.

Updated to, HandBrake svn6556 (Nightly Build) - 64bit Version and issue still remains. Please let me know what else I can provide.
silver179

Re: Crashes when source is selected

Post by silver179 »

I'm experiencing the same issue with similar specs. Uninstalled/reinstalled .NET, cleaned disk, no go. Further information:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: handbrake.exe
Problem Signature 02: 0.10.0.6534
Problem Signature 03: 547081e8
Problem Signature 04: HandBrakeInterop
Problem Signature 05: 1.52.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 547081e1
Problem Signature 07: 5c
Problem Signature 08: 30
Problem Signature 09: System.AccessViolationException
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: c240
Additional Information 2: c24072d0f751c33cdaa20a746a3d3b08
Additional Information 3: 09e1
Additional Information 4: 09e1d4326c624ad88e4630c8514b421b

Event Log:
Application: Handbrake.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
Stack:
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(System.Object, System.Object[], System.Signature, Boolean)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(System.Object, System.Object[], System.Object[])
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(System.Object, System.Reflection.BindingFlags, System.Reflection.Binder, System.Object[], System.Globalization.CultureInfo)
at Caliburn.Micro.ActionMessage.<.cctor>b__d(Caliburn.Micro.ActionExecutionContext)
at Caliburn.Micro.ActionMessage.Invoke(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Interactivity.TriggerBase.InvokeActions(System.Object)
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, Boolean)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
at System.Windows.Controls.Button.OnClick()
at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnMouseLeftButtonUp(System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(System.Delegate, System.Object)
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, Boolean)
at System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, System.Windows.RoutedEvent)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(System.Delegate, System.Object)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(System.Windows.Input.InputReport)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr, System.Windows.Input.InputMode, Int32, System.Windows.Input.RawMouseActions, Int32, Int32, Int32)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr, MS.Internal.Interop.WindowMessage, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
at System.Windows.Application.Run()
at HandBrakeWPF.App.Main()
PegasusRider

Post by PegasusRider »

I am also having this issue, but only on one machine of 3.

The machine it is occurring on has the dreaded ATI/Intel "switchable graphics", meh.

Is it possible that the issue is related to this configuration of hardware? The OP may be in the same boat based on the system info provided, second poster... don't know, >limited< info given in that regard.

Anyway, just a thought.

Cheers.
grosbedos

Post by grosbedos »

Hi,

Same here, crash when i select a file source, or folder.
I'm on win7 64bit too.

And i have an ATI/Intel "switchable graphics" too !
grosbedos

Post by grosbedos »

Hi,

In fact, it is handbrakeCLI wich crash.
When handbrakeCli start, he make a hardware scan (i think), and he crash just after detect my 4 core cpu..

I have an ATI/Intel "switchable graphics", so i uninstall catalyst driver, and use just the intel card.

No more crash...

An idea ?

Best regard

ps : Before remove catalyst driver, i have try to launch handbrakecli with the switch --no-opencl, but with no luck, crash too.
PegasusRider

Post by PegasusRider »

Hi,

That's a double edged sword, there. :)

Nice to know it is indeed the hardware combo. But a drag that the workaround means making the machine useless for other things.

Here's hoping for a fix in the hardware check code. =D

Thanks, grosbedos!

edit: Oh, maybe just disabling the graphics adapter in device manager... I'll try that and report back.

report: Yes, disabling the adapter works! And that way you don't have to uninstall/reinstall drivers. Just enable the adapter when you're done with handbrake and off you go again.

Cheers!
Last edited by PegasusRider on Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I take it the crash happens *after* you select the source, right as it's starting the scan? If it's crashing the moment you hit the folder / file button that's not even getting to the hardware detect code.

Fwiw, Nvidia/Intel and Lucid Switch able graphics both work fine so I'd suspect a driver issue. (Have you tried a different version? I.e go older or newer?)

Unfortunately, I don't have this hardware myself so can't go to debug it.
PegasusRider

Post by PegasusRider »

Yes, it's immediately after selecting a source (file or folder) and when it should be beginning the scan it crashes instead.

The ATI/Intel combo is apparently notorious :( My son pointed it out to me and snickered. LOL

As for new drivers, AMD seems to have dropped the entire concept and has never provided updates that would work with "switchable graphics" configurations, and OEM's won't either. For me, the only driver available is the one that came with the machine. I've checked numerous times over the last 3 years and gave up about a year ago.

See above for a couple workaround options to others suffering this issue.

FWIW, in device manager this is what Windows reports about my adapter:

Radeon (TM) HD 7690M XT
Driver Version: 8.882.2.3000 dated 9/30/11

I don't know enough about programming to be of any direct help, and I have no idea if the above info would be of any use or not. But, thanks for looking in. Let me know if I can help in some way.
jmiller0628

Post by jmiller0628 »

OP here, I have an AMD chip and onboard ATI graphics and also a seperate ATI card. No Intel inside for me. I will later tonight try and remove the add in card and try to run with just the onboard graphics and see if that makes a difference.
grosbedos

Post by grosbedos »

Hi,

My driver was version 8.x too. I have install newer driver from amd, version 14.301.1001.0, and no more crash !
(I have to manually point the device manager, where the amd driver was unpack, c:\amd)

Best regard
PegasusRider

Post by PegasusRider »

grosbedos wrote:Hi,

My driver was version 8.x too. I have install newer driver from amd, version 14.301.1001.0, and no more crash !
(I have to manually point the device manager, where the amd driver was unpack, c:\amd)

Best regard
Every time I've gone to get new drivers from AMD, they warn that they are not compatible with "switchable graphics" adapters. Has this changed? Or do they work well despite this warning?

edit: Alrighty, then. I guess I shouldn't have given up on checking for a new driver release that would potentially work with "switchable graphics". This release doesn't say it will not work AND there is an entry in the known issues section of the release notes concerning said adapter configuration (which I take as a good sign it is in fact intended to work with this now). I'll give it a shot (and pray it doesn't kill my laptop :cry: ).

Thank you again!
PegasusRider

Post by PegasusRider »

Well, apparently for me it's a combo act.

Installing the new AMD driver failed. Somehow the old Intel HD driver and the old AMD driver were linked (same revision number and everything) so updating one but not the other broke the whole thing.

Tried updating the Intel (generic) driver... which turned my entire screen red... boy that was fun to rollback. :)

So, then decided what the heck, worse case I smoke the whole thing and buy another one. So I reinstalled the AMD driver, but before rebooting installed the Intel driver. This seemed to work...

Rebooted, and bingo. Everything works. AMD reports a different adapter number now (6700) and my favorite game reports lower FPS, but it looks to be actually working better (it was a bit hitchy before, and now smooth) so I am happy to ignore the reported rate.

And finally, Handbrake... does not crash after selecting a source.

Messy, and unsupported by the OEM, but functional is functional.

Thanks folks!!
grosbedos

Post by grosbedos »

I'm glad that's working for you!

Have a nice day
willyBean

Post by willyBean »

I have the same issue after upgrading when I try to open a Bluray disk. I have the latest version of the graphics driver.

I reinstalled 9.9, and it works again.

System:
HandBrake svn6551 (Nightly Build) - 64bit Version
CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 905e Processor
Ram: 4 GB
GPU : AMD Radeon HD 4200 - 8.961.0.0
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I have the latest version of the graphics driver.
Nope, you don't. You have a driver from several years ago. If your manufacturer has stopped supporting your hardware, try going direct to AMD. Failing that your out of luck.