v0.10b4 encodes with incorrect video size

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
*******************************
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

*******************************
Post Reply
bmanske
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:58 am

v0.10b4 encodes with incorrect video size

Post by bmanske » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:00 pm

A while back I posted this on the Requests section of the forum thinking that my encodes with the incorrect settings were a lack of information on the queue.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=30779

Since moving to v.10b4 (running on windows 8.1 64bit) I have not had any incident of the wrong data rate for video. Since that message I have been encoding and trying to set up a reproducible case. I have seen 3 errors. All have been 1920x1080 that were encoded as 740x400. I suspect the queue because the data rate of 3000 was used not the 2000 for the 740x400 video.

I don't think I can tell you how to reproduce this. I can tell you what I have tried like adding DVD video to the queue then BluRay and dragging the BluRay in between the DVD titles. The problem is that setting up a test is easy waiting for the result is very time consuming. The only time I have seen this problem is after doing many encodes without letting the queue get empty. Of the three encodes that this happened on, there were 2 separate incidents. The first happened with a single entry in between many DVD entries. The second time I ran some tests the queue was nearly empty and I added DVD entries (ADD), then a dir with 4 BluRay in MKV format (ADD ALL), then DVD again (ADD ALL) then I left then I dragged the third then first BluRay entries to the bottom of the queue and let it run. The 2 BluRay entries left in the middle encoded with the wrong with the wrong picture size.

I know that this is a problem, but I don't think that trying to reproduce what I have told you about above will be successful. What may be helpful would be to expose the data in the queue by adding a button to inspect the selected queue element. Pop up a window and show all of the information on that entry. This would help me find the error vector and be useful for general use as I'm sure many people would like to go back and inspect their work.

I'll keep watching for this. Maybe by posting this someone else will find a way to reproduce it.

Thanks Brad

Smithcraft
Veteran User
Posts: 2691
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:04 pm

Re: v0.10b4 encodes with incorrect video size

Post by Smithcraft » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:31 pm

I'm sure you're aware that logs are always helpful to see what is going on with Handbrake.

SC

bmanske
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:58 am

Re: v0.10b4 encodes with incorrect video size

Post by bmanske » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:45 pm

I don't believe the answer you are looking for is in the logs. I am using presets that I created. I click on a preset to change settings then add it to the queue. If nothing moves around in the queue I have never been able to duplicate this. When things do go wrong, All I see is the change in the video size the data rate is what I put into the preset.

I expect that the log would show that the encoder is doing exactly what it was supposed to do based on the queue information. I have one that I believe is failing now (based on the frame rate being higher than I expect for BluRay). I'll try to go back and preserve a couple of those logs since you think it will help.

bmanske
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:58 am

Re: v0.10b4 encodes with incorrect video size

Post by bmanske » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:05 pm

The final encode ended. It was BluRay resolution 1920x1080 for the source and the output was 720x400 with the data rate that I set for the BluRay preset (3000).

The queue was empty. I added (select the dir and Add All) the same 4 BluRay titles I added before. Clicked start. I see a frame rate that makes me believe that it is encoding the title at 720x400 with the proper data rate. So there was no messing around with the queue this time.

As a quick aside "Reset Job Status to Waiting" is the text to the tooltip assigned to both the edit and delete icons on the right side of each queue entry.

I then went to the second queue entry and clicked the edit icon to send it back to the main window. The Main window now says Source 1920x1080 Width and Height have 720x400. Data Rate is correct on the video tab.

Can you think so something else to try while I seem to have it in a failing state?

musicvid
Veteran User
Posts: 3268
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:19 am

Re: v0.10b4 encodes with incorrect video size

Post by musicvid » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:24 pm

Your logs are already "preserved."
Usually folks here don't ask twice.
If someone here decides to attempt to reproduce your issue, they will need more than a narrative . . .

bmanske
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:58 am

Re: v0.10b4 encodes with incorrect video size

Post by bmanske » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:25 pm

musicvid wrote:Your logs are already "preserved."
Got it.
musicvid wrote:Usually folks here don't ask twice.
Be a sheep. Lower the S/N Ratio without question. Got it.
musicvid wrote:If someone here decides to attempt to reproduce your issue, they will need more than a narrative . . .
If people want to duplicate this, a narrative is all they will have because this is an GUI interface issue. Please read the narrative above and tell me using reasoned facts why my logic is wrong.

On the other hand, if you don't like my attitude or my methods, then I will simply bow out.

bmanske
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:58 am

Re: v0.10b4 encodes with incorrect video size

Post by bmanske » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:39 pm

Since I didn't receive any suggestions I went ahead and tried a few more things. I spent some time adding and removing from the queue.

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not sure that this is the same bug as I started with at the top, but there is a good chance they are related.

Width and Height in picture seemed to be stuck to 720x400 with the checkbox for aspect ration checked. I used source->folder and used Add All to add video to the queue then went back and looked at each entry selecting it with the Title drop down Everything else looked correct but in all cases, the video size was set to 720x400.

This behavior is consistent with what I have been seeing all along, so maybe the real bug happens before it ever goes into the queue.

User avatar
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team
Posts: 5440
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:21 pm

Re: v0.10b4 encodes with incorrect video size

Post by JohnAStebbins » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:07 pm

bmanske wrote: If people want to duplicate this, a narrative is all they will have because this is an GUI interface issue. Please read the narrative above and tell me using reasoned facts why my logic is wrong.
The narritive tells us what you say you attempted in the UI (users are notoriously bad at describing what they think they did). The log tells us in exquisite detail what actually happened. No amount of narritive is going to tell us more precicely what actually happened than the log can tell us. There are several ways that the size could get set wrong. Knowing both the initial conditions *and* the result helps us narrow down the possibilities.

bmanske
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:58 am

Re: v0.10b4 encodes with incorrect video size

Post by bmanske » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:16 pm

OK. This tells me that You've not read the above "narrative" either. You have not said why you need it by pointing out the flaw in my line of investigation. That's 2 votes for arguing with me, without actually reading what I've put a lot of time into.

Bottom line. There is a state after scanning the file where the data from the initial conditions is wrong and it ends up in the queue wrong and the encoder encodes it with those wrong values. A log file will not help you. This is a GUI error.

Obviously, I'm not helping. You are discouraging any independent thinking on my part. I'll just shut up.

Nothing to see here... Move along...

User avatar
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team
Posts: 5440
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:21 pm

Re: v0.10b4 encodes with incorrect video size

Post by JohnAStebbins » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:21 pm

bmanske wrote:Nothing to see here... Move along...
My thoughts exactly

User avatar
s55
HandBrake Team
Posts: 9521
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:05 pm

Re: v0.10b4 encodes with incorrect video size

Post by s55 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:25 pm

Why do you think several *developers* would ask for a log, if it wasn't useful? You clearly don't understand how HandBrake works internally, so your assumptions are faulty.

Fact is, many bugs only occur when certain source conditions are fed into the app, and since we have no clue about these without a log, we can't investigate them.

Secondly, Nothing you've stated so far is reproducible here, so either there is another factor, or a misunderstanding somewhere.

Provide both a "Scan" log and an "Encode" log so we can rule things out, otherwise I'm closing this off as it's a waste of my time.

musicvid
Veteran User
Posts: 3268
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:19 am

Re: v0.10b4 encodes with incorrect video size

Post by musicvid » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:19 pm

[cues Sinatra stage left]
[Singing]"I did it myyyyy way"

Post Reply