No Audio for half the movie

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

jsrun

Re: I have dropout on Pirates of the Caribbean ripped with M

Post by jsrun »

dynaflash wrote:Realize though, MTR 3.0beta -> HB or MTR2.6.6 ->DTOX -> HB is likely to be the normal workflow for what you are trying to do in the future as I dont believe there are any plans to get HB to handle all of these dvd's. This should just be Standard Operating Procedure from now on, unfortunately.
I am fine with this, if I can just understand it a little better.

I have 200 movies ripped with MTR. Some with 2.6.6 some with 3.0beta. No way to tell which (that I know of).

What should I do next?

Run through DTOX then compress with MediaFork?

Your workflow above (MTR 3.0beta -> HB or MTR2.6.6 ->DTOX -> HB) suggests that I rip with MTR 3 then somehow reprocess it with HB or MTR 2.6.6 then to DTOX then back to HB again. I am getting lost.

Also, I have gone to The dvd2one website and downloaded the trial, but I am not exactly clear on how I use this program to take care of my zero cell problem on all of the movies that are already successfully ripped to my hard drive with MTR... Do I make a full disc copy of my video_ts folder or can I make a movie-only copy (if I plan to only use that..) or does it matter?

P.S. Thanks for the prompt reply. I really appreciate it.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

jsrun wrote:
dynaflash wrote:Realize though, MTR 3.0beta -> HB or MTR2.6.6 ->DTOX -> HB is likely to be the normal workflow for what you are trying to do in the future as I dont believe there are any plans to get HB to handle all of these dvd's. This should just be Standard Operating Procedure from now on, unfortunately.

I have 200 movies ripped with MTR. Some with 2.6.6 some with 3.0beta. No way to tell which (that I know of).

What should I do next?

Your workflow above (MTR 3.0beta -> HB or MTR2.6.6 ->DTOX -> HB) suggests that I rip with MTR 3 then somehow reprocess it with HB or MTR 2.6.6 then to DTOX then back to HB again. I am getting lost.

Also, I have gone to The dvd2one website and downloaded the trial, but I am not exactly clear on how I use this program to take care of my zero cell problem on all of the movies that are already successfully ripped to my hard drive with MTR... Do I make a full disc copy of my video_ts folder or can I make a movie-only copy (if I plan to only use that..) or does it matter?

Okay, if you are using the latest MTR 3.0-R14d beta (which requires a donation) then you can rip in Main Feature mode and you dont have to use DTOX to remove zero cells.

http://www.ripdifferent.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4790

If you ripped the movie with 2.6.6, you may have to remove zero cells, you may not, depends on the movie. With DTOX (DVD2oneX) you can find out by clicking on Movie Only rip and then you will get a drawer that pops open with all of the cells, including the duration and size (mb) of each cell. There is also a checkbox next to each one to include it or not include it in your final movie. For the most part, you will uncheck any zero duration or size cells. But, unfortunately that is not always the case. Best thing to do is check the MTR forums (from the link I gave you) and do a search for a given title to see what they came up with to work around it if it is a tough nut to crack.

As you may have surmised, in some instances this can be "more art than science" for some titles unfortunately, but that is the world we are living in.

In summary, once you get a nice clean fileset to work with, Handbrake/MediaFork has a very high success rate with dropped audio. There are still a few titles it has a hard time with. But, for that matter, some are so copy protected that even older set top dvd players have a hard time playing them. This is what makes troubleshooting dvd specific bugs so very difficult as the devs do not have every dvd made or frankly the time to try them all.

For now, unfortunately, it is going to be trial and error. If all of your titles have been run through mtr first though, you should have a pretty high success rate with HB right from the get go.
losjackal

Post by losjackal »

dynaflash wrote:Okay, if you are using the latest MTR 3.0-R14d beta (which requires a donation) then you can rip in Main Feature mode and you dont have to use DTOX to remove zero cells.
My DaVinci and Narnia tests have been using MTR3.0-R14d rips all along. I also had the most trouble with Little Miss Sunshine recently (as someone else posted). I couldn't even get this to work without audio drop at even smaller frame sizes. I'll have to test again.

But dynaflash, my next step is to also experiment 1-pass versus 2-pass.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

losjackal wrote:My DaVinci and Narnia tests have been using MTR3.0-R14d rips all along. I also had the most trouble with Little Miss Sunshine recently (as someone else posted). I couldn't even get this to work without audio drop at even smaller frame sizes. I'll have to test again.

But dynaflash, my next step is to also experiment 1-pass versus 2-pass.
Yep, we are all trying to figure it out. Seems that at least for now, there are some nuts just too tough to crack.
cknyckny

i don't think the audio drop out is related to zero cells

Post by cknyckny »

at least not solely. As posted above I had the problem with Little Miss Sunshine. I ripped the movie to hard disk on my intel macbook using mtr 3.0-14d. Movie plays fine - audio the entire movie. Intel version of both the latest handbrake and media fork would drop audio on a two pass.

The ppc version of mediafork on my G5? Using the same exact MTR extraction I was using on the macbook it worked like a charm.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Re: i don't think the audio drop out is related to zero cell

Post by dynaflash »

cknyckny wrote:at least not solely. As posted above I had the problem with Little Miss Sunshine. I ripped the movie to hard disk on my intel macbook using mtr 3.0-14d. Movie plays fine - audio the entire movie. Intel version of both the latest handbrake and media fork would drop audio on a two pass.

The ppc version of mediafork on my G5? Using the same exact MTR extraction I was using on the macbook it worked like a charm.
So in your case, sounds like an Intel issue, as you had no trouble on your PPC ?
jsrun

A few more data points

Post by jsrun »

I have still yet to successfully export/compress Pirates of the Caribbean, despite running it through DTOX as suggested. I have tried single and double pass encoding. No luck. I am going to rerip the dvd with MTR3 beta and see if that fixes the problem, but I am not optimistic...

I have also had audio failure with Chronicles of Narnia (after DTOX), Dr Dolittle 2 (no DTOX) and Stranger than Fiction (ripped with MTR latest beta to feature track only, no DTOX). On all of these, I was trying 2-pass encoding.

Is this problem much less likely to occur with single pass encoding? If so, is 2-pass encoding enough better to justify a high failure rate, or should I just use single pass...?
dynaflash
Veteran User

Re: A few more data points

Post by dynaflash »

jsrun wrote:I have still yet to successfully export/compress Pirates of the Caribbean, despite running it through DTOX as suggested. I have tried single and double pass encoding. No luck. I am going to rerip the dvd with MTR3 beta and see if that fixes the problem, but I am not optimistic...

I have also had audio failure with Chronicles of Narnia (after DTOX), Dr Dolittle 2 (no DTOX) and Stranger than Fiction (ripped with MTR latest beta to feature track only, no DTOX). On all of these, I was trying 2-pass encoding.

Is this problem much less likely to occur with single pass encoding? If so, is 2-pass encoding enough better to justify a high failure rate, or should I just use single pass...?
Did Pirates a while ago. No problem here. Although it was a single pass encode (mostly all I use, cant see near enough difference in my case to justify the extra encoding time at all).

Chronicles of Narnia as well. All of these were run through mtr first (this is just my default workflow).
cknyckny

Post by cknyckny »

yes seems as though my little miss sunshine issue was a intel issue as the ppc version of media fork worked fine.

no problem ripping pirates 1 or 2 on my intel here.
scottclayton

Which OS X version?

Post by scottclayton »

Hey,

I too have been suffering the audio problems. I'm running Handbrake 0.7.1. I encode AVI - AVC/H.264/AC-3 audio at an average bitrate of 1500-2000kbps (I always do two audio tracks when available).

I can say that the audio dropout problems ONLY happen when a chapter changes.

Since some people are having problems with their Intel, and not their old PPC, I'm wondering if this is a problem that has come up with the newest build of Mac OS X Tiger. I'm running 10.4.9 8P2137 on my Mac Mini Intel 1.66 with 2gb RAM.

My workflow is MTR 3.0 r-14 to an external Harddrive, then from there I encode with Handbrake onto my Desktop (mac mini's internal harddrive).

I don't think it's a matter of the computer being underpowered, since I've converted many discs before with this setup etc. and I always have all programs closed when I convert so as to free up resources.

The audio dropouts are not always at the same spot, and sometimes, one of the audio tracks work and the other doesn't, suggesting it's not a zero-cells issue.

What 10.4 version/build are people with these problems running?

-scott
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

jsrun wrote:

What should I do next?

Okay, this very subject is a huge issue not just with HB/MF but with MTR and DTOX as well.

Problem is, everything depends on which version of mtr you ripped your dvds with. I will try to summarize here as best I can, beyond that, I have to suggest you take a look at the mtr forums to get even more detail, like best methods used for an individual dvd.

If you ripped with anything earlier than mtr's lates beta 3.0 r14d ( this would include 2.6.6).

Use dtox and the movie only mode, select your VIDEO_TS folder that was generated by MTR. a drawer will pop out in dtox with a listing of the cells, including their duration and size. In general, you dont want any cells that have a zero duration or are 0mb in size. So, uncheck those cells. Then process with dtox to either a blank dvd (which should be playable on a dvd drive or can be used as a source for HB) or you can output another fileset which will look just like the one from MTR but will be remastered without the zero cells and should work fine in HB.

If you have the 3.0 r14d beta then follow the instructions on the mtr forums.

Since you say you have the 3.0 beta, you must be registered on the mtr forums, most of the info you need should be there.

Of course, you can always just try each one you have from mtr with HB and check for audio at the end of the movie, then just process the ones that drop audio. I think you will find that well over 80% HB can just process as is fine. The rest you will probably have to run through dtox.

Thats more or less it in a nutshell.
Hope it helps.
scottclayton

Use MTR 2.6.6, not 3.0r14

Post by scottclayton »

Hey,

I deleted every Video_TS rip I made with MacTheRipper 3.0r14, and have begun re-ripping dvds with MTR 2.6.6. I encoded a few so far that had audio problems, and they're fine now... Problem solved! I've never really beta tested anything before, and I always think "Newer version means better, right? Forgetting that it's something unpolished that will eventually become better."

I take back everything I said about MAC OS 10.4.9 builds.

A bit of a pain in lost time, since I have to re-rip those 40 dvds again, but at least I figured it out now before I ripped a few hundred more, or sent everything to my painfully slow G4 iBook.

Every once in a while, I can read this forum topic to see others confirmed zero cell issues with particular dvds:

http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopic.php?=&p=1884

and then I'll use MTR until it works, or I'll break down and buy DtOX.

In short... for all of you beta testing MTR 3.0r14... let the developer know of this problem, and dust off MTR 2.6.6.

-scott[/url]
jsrun

More data, maybe a clue...

Post by jsrun »

Okay, I have read many threads here and at ripdifferent.com, purchased DTOX and am compressing my > 1 TB collection down gleefully. I have about a 10% audio drop out problem. But I think I may have a clue as to what the issue is for someone much smarter than me to run with...

Most (not all) were ripped with MTR 2.6.6, some with a 3.0 beta (not the latest) and a couple with the latest MTR beta 14.

Except for the very most recent, I have run them all through DTOX to remove the zero cells. Those that still suffer from the audio dropout, I have successfully converted/compressed with MPEG Streamclip, with virtually identical settings. I noticed after the 2nd or 3rd one, that ALL of the ones that were having problems popped up with a "timecodes may be broken, would you like to repair them?" dialog box. I repair them and then they encode fine.

I don't really know how these programs do what they do, or how/where MPEG Streamclip differs from Mediafork... (So thank you to those of you who do and who share your time and knowledge.) But I thought this might be an interesting avenue to follow if someone is trying to figure out how to fix this...

Of course, there is probably a perfectly easy explanation as to why this is not a clue, but as I said, I just thought it might help...

JSR
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: More data, maybe a clue...

Post by jbrjake »

jsrun wrote:I noticed after the 2nd or 3rd one, that ALL of the ones that were having problems popped up with a "timecodes may be broken, would you like to repair them?" dialog box. I repair them and then they encode fine.
I cannot reproduce this.

Last night I encoded a DVD that has audio timecode errors when opened in MPEG StreamClip. Used it with HB without fixing the errors. Encoded fine, no audio-drop out. The only nod HB gave to the error was a log message that it had encountered a PTS gap.
zen649

Post by zen649 »

I would like to agree with jsrun. If I run into a problem with audio cutting out or an incomplete rip I will open the vob files in Streamclip. I then "fix timecode breaks" and then either rip into mp4, or if that does not work, save it as an MPEG. This fixes most the problems I run into. On the occasion when any of these methods do not work I will use my PC with AnyDVD to copy the VideoTS foler to my Mac hard drive and use HB. I have been able to backup every DVD I have (over 250) using this progression.

P.S. I use the latest version of MTR 3.0 R14d.
bhaal

Post by bhaal »

I'm havaing a problem with the director's cut version of Blade Runner, audio cust out at the transition between thr 4th and 5th chapters and then remains silent for the rest of the movie. Frame rate drops at the corresponding point on the second pass of the encode to about 7fps. Full settings are

2000 Kbps
2 Pass
mpeg4: h.264 - x264 main
Audio is 2 channel but I've had the same problem on other discs with 5.1 so I don't think this makes a difference.

I'm going to try processing it with streamclip but nothing else seems to work, DTOX doesn't pick up any zero cells and even using fairmount and therefore bypassing MTR completly I get the same problem.
robertternes

Post by robertternes »

I'm having the same problems (and some special ones):

PIRATES_OF_THE_CARIBBEAN:
Ripped with MTR 2.6.6 (Full Disc Extraction)
No Sound with MediaFork while using H.264 (MP4, 2400kBit/s) and AAC (160kBit/s)

DaVinci_Code:
Ripped with MTR 3.0 r14d (Main Feature Extraction) - v2.6.6 doesn't work because of the arccoss protection of that Sony Picture DVD (it runs and runs and when it's finished, MediaFork and Handbrake shut down when i try to open it)... with die 3.0 Beta there are no problems and HB/MF can open it easily, but once agein: After some minutes there is NO sound!

So... what can I do? The Da Vinci Code can be only ripped with MTR 3.0 Beta (2.6.6 doesn't work), but Pirates of the Caribbean also doesn't work (no sound, ripped with MTR 2.6.6)

Greez
- Robert
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 20"
Germany
bhaal

Post by bhaal »

I've got a perfect copy of pirates 2 encoded with handbrake 0.7.1 (and it's h.264). It's not anamorphic but the sound works perfectly.

I didn't have any sucess with mpeg streamclip on Blade Runner (although It did pick up timecode breaks).

I'm going to test:

if it's due to encoding in h.264
if it's due to encoding in anamorphic
if I can get anywhere by using the merge cells option in MTR
if it's due to OS X 10.4.9

I'm currently testing visualhub to see if it can a)produce a file with the same dimensions as the anamophic one MF will give and b) if it solves the problem

UPDATE: Visualhub solves the problem on a rip of the affected part of the disk. It also automatically puts the file into the correct aspect ratio using quicktime if you use the same dimensions as MF does when you select anamorphic. Trying a full rip of the disc now but if it works then visualhub might replace MF as my compressor.
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

bhaal wrote:It also automatically puts the file into the correct aspect ratio using quicktime if you use the same dimensions as MF does when you select anamorphic.
From what I've heard, that means Visual Hub is stretching the width across more pixels before encoding, rather than after as HB does, which means your compression won't be anywhere near so efficient. Just FYI.
bhaal

Post by bhaal »

If there's still the same number of vertical lines as with anamorphic in handbrake then this isn't a problem, space doesn't bother me too much so the bitrate can just go up to 3mbps to compensate.

UPDATE: Right visualhub solves the problem admirably. So the workflow to defeat the audio dropout is (NB in both scenarios the latest build of MTR should be used in main feature only mode to get rid of any zero cells, which is a seperate issue to the audio dropout):

MTR> Mediafork

If MF starts going at half speed (use activity monitor and see if it stays below 100%) then this means you have an audio problem so go to the alternative workflow:

MTR > Visualhub (using h.264 encoding, 2 pass, the same output resolution as handbrake gave and either a set bitrate (say 2000 or 2500 kbps) or the 'go nuts' setting.

I didn't really mean what I said about Visualhub replacing MF, for a start there's no way to do subs in Visualhub, but it's really good to have a way of getting round the audio problems (which only affect a minority of discs).

UPDATE 2: The best way to handle the resolution settings in Visualhub is to set it to the output setting in MF and NOT the anamorphic setting. Doing the latter results in a badly cropped image. Doing the former allows the encoding to be done perfectly and then the resolution can be altered for playback in the quicktime (needs saving as a .mov).
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=849

Guys, I'm going to close this thread. Further discussion should be held in the above forum. Its just a bloody pest for us to try and have a converstion over a half dozen different threads.

Thread Locked