Linux GUI, 6199svn, GtkStack background black?

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

mod16
Experienced

Linux GUI, 6199svn, GtkStack background black?

Post by mod16 »

I like the changes, good idea to take the picture settings out of the preview window - I also like the nice animation. ;)
But I really hope the background isn't supposed to look like that (see image below)!? It looks like that on all tabs/stacks. The contrast is... intense. :shock:

EDIT: If I start ghb the "Summary" looks fine, if I click on "Picture", it still looks fine, also "Advanced Picture" and "Chapters" seems to be fine - but as soon as I click on "Video" or "Subtitle Defaults" all look bad. So it seems selecting some tabs seems to break the background color for all tabs.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: Linux GUI, 6199svn, GtkStack background black?

Post by JohnAStebbins »

I'll look into it. It works perfectly fine on fedora 20. So I'm guessing this is a (yet another) problem with gtk or the X server on ubuntu.
mod16
Experienced

Post by mod16 »

Thank you! :)

Another small issue I found:
If I change the (destination) file name to something else than the default value and use the RF slider afterwards to change the RF value, the file name is reset to it's default value again.
Short: Changing the RF setting resets the output file name.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

With auto-naming enabled, there are a variety of things that *could* result in a filename change (see the tooltip for the auto-name template in preferences). But I shouldn't really be renaming when one of those things is *not* in the template. I'll fix that.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

I've tried to reproduce your black background problem on multiple machines and can not. What type of graphics card and driver are you using?
mod16
Experienced

Post by mod16 »

I'm using a AMD Radeon 5850 (ATI CYPRESS) with the default "radeon" open source driver that came with Ubuntu 14.04.

But I just tested the same build on two other machines with Ubuntu 14.04 - all having the same issue. One with Nvidia- (proprietary driver) and another one with Intel-graphics card (on-board 945GM). So it really seems to be Ubuntu related. Maybe other people using Ubuntu can confirm this.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

I tried ubuntu 14.04 32bit running in VirtualBox, ubuntu 14.04 64bit running on real hardware with intel gfx, unity and gnome-shell. None of these combinations showed the problem.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

mod16: perhaps try creating a new user account and launching HandBrake under that other user (which should have a fresh set of user-specific settings)?
mod16
Experienced

Post by mod16 »

Rodeo wrote:mod16: perhaps try creating a new user account and launching HandBrake under that other user (which should have a fresh set of user-specific settings)?
Created a new, fresh account - but unfortunately still the same problem.

To be honest I was a little bit surprised, too, that the issue also showed up on the other machines with completely different hardware. But I also can't think of anything I did on all three systems which could cause this.
If I find out something new I will report it back here...
mod16
Experienced

Post by mod16 »

Ok, I found the problem.

If I disable "Scrollbars" -> "Overlay" (which is enabled by default) setting it to "Legacy" using the "Unity Tweak Tool" the problem goes away.
EDIT: Another workaround is to set the variable LIBOVERLAY_SCROLLBAR to 0 before launching Handbrake, i.e. in the ghb.desktop file:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Name=HandBrake
[...]
Exec=env LIBOVERLAY_SCROLLBAR=0 ghb %f
[...]
But I guess I will simply disable the overlay scrollbars, because I don't really need/like them anyway.

This link lead me in the right direction:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1167079

I'm still not 100% sure if this is caused indirectly by something I did. But I'm sure didn't changed the scrollbar setting on purpose on any of these machines. If no one else will show up with this problem I guess it's something I did. ;)
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

haha, that would explain it. I *hate* overlay scrollbars with a passion and always disable them. I didn't think of that variation :P

There is no option in gnome-tweak-tool to disable them, so if you run gnome-shell they can be disabled using dconf-editor. The setting is under
com->canonical->desktop->interface->scrollbar-mode, set it to "normal"

I noticed that after re-enabling overlay scrollbars, I get the black background in gnome-tweak-tool also. So this is definitely a bug in the gfx system somewhere, not a handbrake bug.
purple52

Post by purple52 »

I am seeing this issue on 64bit Ubuntu 14.04 on using Intel graphics, having upgraded from handbrake 0.9.9+dfsg-2~2.gbpa4c3e9build1 to handbrake-gtk 0.10.0ppa1~trusty1.

The bug linked above has been been marked Fix Released, so I doubt it'll get much further attention. If this is not fixable in Handbrake, perhaps a new bug report against Ubuntu is required?
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

There are already multiple bugs filed against this problem on launchpad. They routinely ignore them, wait for the next ubuntu release, mark them "fixed", and ask for people that are still experiencing the bug to file a new bug report.

The bug is easily reproducible in other apps (e.g. gnome-tweak-tool). But nobody wants to take responsibility and triage the problem.

I'm not playing this stupid game.
randomreuben
Veteran User

Post by randomreuben »

This is great! I had this exact thing happen to me, but I had no idea how to report this thing without looking crazy. I didn't know what on earth was causing this and I couldn't figure out what I was doing to cause this. I'm so glad this is not just me. Brilliant!
mdeslaur

Post by mdeslaur »

Would you consider adding a patch like this to your Ubuntu packages until Ubuntu switches to the overlay scrollbars included in GTK+ 3.16?

Code: Select all

Description: disable Ubuntu overlay scrollbars to prevent black
 background in certain windows
Author: Marc Deslauriers <marc.deslauriers@canonical.com>

Index: handbrake-0.10.0+ppa1/gtk/src/main.c
===================================================================
--- handbrake-0.10.0+ppa1.orig/gtk/src/main.c	2015-01-24 11:02:58.756111796 -0500
+++ handbrake-0.10.0+ppa1/gtk/src/main.c	2015-01-24 11:10:30.187701805 -0500
@@ -646,6 +646,50 @@
     g_io_add_watch(channel, G_IO_IN, ghb_log_cb, (gpointer)ud );
 }

+// Disable Ubuntu Overlay Scrollbars. They are causing a theming issue
+// that makes the background turn black in certain windows, and they will
+// be replaced soon with overlayed scrollbars in GTK+ 3.16.
+static void
+disable_overlay_scrollbars()
+{
+    GSList *modules_list = NULL;
+    GSList *l = NULL;
+    guint length, n;
+    gchar **modules;
+    const gchar *old;
+
+    if ((old = g_getenv("GTK_MODULES")) != NULL)
+    {
+        modules = g_strsplit(old, ":", -1);
+        for (n = 0; modules[n]; n++)
+        {
+            if (!g_strcmp0 (modules[n], "overlay-scrollbar"))
+            {
+                continue;
+            }
+            modules_list = g_slist_prepend(modules_list, modules[n]);
+        }
+
+        g_free(modules);
+
+        modules_list = g_slist_reverse(modules_list);
+        length = g_slist_length(modules_list);
+
+        modules = g_new(gchar *, length + 1);
+        modules[length--] = NULL;
+
+        for (l = modules_list; l; l = l->next)
+        {
+            modules[length--] = g_strdup(l->data);
+        }
+
+        g_setenv("GTK_MODULES", g_strjoinv (":", modules), TRUE);
+
+        g_strfreev(modules);
+        g_slist_free(modules_list);
+    }
+}
+
 typedef struct
 {
     gchar *filename;
@@ -788,6 +832,7 @@
     GError *error = NULL;
     GOptionContext *context;

+    disable_overlay_scrollbars();
     hb_global_init();

#ifdef ENABLE_NLS

JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

TBH, I'm really not interested in catering to Ubuntu's screwups. I've considered many times *not* creating binary releases for Ubuntu at all. They are just a PITA.

And since I'm in the mood to vent, overlay scrollbars are the worst f'n idea ever. They just get in the way when you want to resize a window and with todays large hidpi screens, there is no reason for them on the desktop. I hate them and am dismayed that they are being officially supported in GTK. I will always disable them on my own desktop and will probably just ignore any problems resulting from them in HandBrake.