[Linux, 6171svn] Auto passthru option not working?

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

mod16
Experienced

[Linux, 6171svn] Auto passthru option not working?

Post by mod16 »

On the "Audio Defaults" tab I checked "AC-3" for the "Auto passthru" option. For "Passthru fallback" I also selected "AC-3", because normally I want everything to be AC-3.

Now I have a source MKV which only has on (English language) audio track in AC-3. As far as I understand using the above mentioned setting pass thru should be automatically selected(?) - but it isn't. But I'm pretty sure it worked fine before (with the older GUI version).

So even if I hit the "Reload Defaults" button on the "Audio List" tab it shows me:

Code: Select all

1 - English (AC3) (5.1ch) (48kHz)     -->     AC3 (5.1 Channels) (48kHz)
Log:

[12:22:26]  * audio track 1
[12:22:26]    + decoder: English (AC3) (5.1 ch) (track 1, id 0x1)
[12:22:26]      + bitrate: 640 kbps, samplerate: 48000 Hz
[12:22:26]    + mixdown: 5.1 Channels
[12:22:26]    + encoder: AC3 (libavcodec)
[12:22:26]      + bitrate: 640 kbps, samplerate: 48000 Hz
Only if I manually edit the list item and select "AC3 Passthru" for "Encoder" I get what I want:

1 - English (AC3) (5.1ch) (48kHz)     -->     Passthrough
Log:

[12:45:25]  * audio track 1
[12:45:25]    + decoder: English (AC3) (5.1 ch) (track 1, id 0x1)
[12:45:25]      + bitrate: 640 kbps, samplerate: 48000 Hz
[12:45:25]    + AC3 Passthru
Or am I doing something wrong?

Another tiny thing I found:
If I manually edit a list item in the "Audio List" tab (i.e. I choose "MP3" Encoder), then close the dialog and press "Reload Defaults", open the edit dialoge for the same entry again, the encoder still shows the previously selected encoder. If I just hit "OK" it also will not pre-selected entry - I first have to choose another one and then go back to the one I want and press "OK" to see it in the list.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: [Linux, 6171svn] Auto passthru option not working?

Post by JohnAStebbins »

On the "Audio Defaults" tab in the "Audio Encoder Settings" area, did you set the encoder to "Auto Passthru"? From your description, it sounds like you did not.

The "Audio Encoder Settings" area defines what tracks will be in your output. Everything above it just modifies the track and codec selection behavior.
mod16
Experienced

Re: [Linux, 6171svn] Auto passthru option not working?

Post by mod16 »

JohnAStebbins wrote:On the "Audio Defaults" tab in the "Audio Encoder Settings" area, did you set the encoder to "Auto Passthru"? From your description, it sounds like you did not.
No, I didn't. :) It's working as expected now!

Thank you for clearing that up!