Cannot install version 0.9.9 on Windows XP

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

RAVENNEW

Cannot install version 0.9.9 on Windows XP

Post by RAVENNEW »

I tried to install HandBrake-0.9.9-i686-Win_GUI (downloaded May 22) on my Windows XP, SP3 system, but with no success. It failed immediately during unpacking to write in particular the Handbrake.exe and its .dll-files in the Program Files/Handbrake directory. On beforehand I had removed the old HandBrake-0.9.8-i686-Win_GUI files. I also tried to install HandBrake-0.9.9-1_i686-Win_GUI.exe and the nightly build HandBrake-svn5550_i686-Win_GUI.exe, both downloaded today, with the same failure. Re-installing HandBrake-0.9.8-i686-Win_GUI.exe was no problem at all. The presets were updated using the latter.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Cannot install version 0.9.9 on Windows XP

Post by s55 »

Whats the error message? Does your user account have privileges to install programs?
RAVENNEW

Post by RAVENNEW »

I try to reproduce things that happened yesterday as exactly as possible (by heart):
I removed the old version (0.9.8) via the uninstall.exe of that version. Next I installed the new version. The installation however halted, with the message in the install log: “cannot write handbrake.exe”. I could ignore that, but again it halted, because it could not write the .dll-files as well. I tried the same with 3 versions of the new handbrake as said before. everytime with exactly the same results. Then I re-installed v0.9.8 with fortunately no problems at all.

Yes, as the only user on my system I am the administrator with all the privileges to install all programs. (I re-installed the old program, right?)

Now today, I wanted to reproduce things in order to answer your questions exactly and funny things happened.
I tried to install the new version 0.9.9-1 again. The message came “You have already installed Handbrake. Delete the old version?” I proceeded with “yes”. Almost immediately the new version unpacked and installed itself completely and with complete success. After “Finnished” the unexpected message: “Do you really want to delete the old software?”(or something like that). Again I said “Yes” However I could not find the new software anywhere and the old version was gone indeed. I installed the new version again and now with complete success.

This scenario is the best thing what I can offer. Hopefully you can use it to trace some bugs. What I can think of is that maybe the removal of the old software yesterday was not properly done, however it does not explain my adventures today. Anyhow I am happy now to have the new version installed.

RAVENNEW
Sprinterdriver

Post by Sprinterdriver »

Hi.

I have no problems installing Handbrake on MY XP machine.

Maybe your file system need a check. Is there any other problems with your computer?
Does the same happens with other programs you try to install?
ty2010
Novice

Post by ty2010 »

Same thing happened here with 9.9 on XP64, it installed then removed. I ran it twice each time so it wasn't a major issue.
RAVENNEW

Post by RAVENNEW »

Sprinterdriver:
I have Handbrake also installed now on my XP. But I think that problems are hidden somewhere in the scenario I used. See my suggestion, but I did not check that. Further "no" and "no" are the answers on your other questions.

ty2010:
Fine, so I am not the exception. However it is an unusual proceeding, but if you know what to do next, it is no major issue indeed.

RAVENNEW