Audio chopping up

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

jehrler

Audio chopping up

Post by jehrler »

I saw in the bug tracker something about audio nastiness but am not technically astute enough to figure out if that is the same issue.

I have encoded a 10 minute chapter from a lite-on DVD Recorder once with Handbrake and twice with MediaFork (.80b1) using AVC/ H.264 Video/ AAC Audio. I have also set the option in MediaFork to use the iPod friendly extensions. The Handbrake one is perfect, but both MediaFork files have had chopped up audio that makes it unusable.

This is on a MacBook Core2Duo running 10.4.8 with 2GB of Ram.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: Audio chopping up

Post by jbrjake »

jehrler wrote: The Handbrake one is perfect, but both MediaFork files have had chopped up audio that makes it unusable.
Well, that's certainly disturbing.

What movie is this? Is it the original disc or a burned backup?

What happens when you rip the disc to your hard drive and encode from that instead of from your optical drive?

You're using iPod friendly extensions...did you also choose x264 (iPod) as the encoding style?
jehrler

Post by jehrler »

This is a burned disc that was created by a DVD Recorder from an over the air network broadcast of a TV show.

I ripped the dvd to disk and tried it again and had the same issue.
jehrler

Post by jehrler »

Just a bump in case this got lost in the switch over.

My audio problem is occuring on DVDs created by a Lite-On DVD-VR and then MediaForked.

There are no issues when using HandBrake.

Attempting to rip with MTR and then HandBrake yielded the same issue.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

jehrler wrote:Just a bump in case this got lost in the switch over.
Yeah it got lost. Sorry. Moving back to bugs...

So this is happening with all discs from the Lite-On, not just one disc "from an over the air network broadcast of a TV show" ?
jehrler

Post by jehrler »

jbrjake wrote:
jehrler wrote:Just a bump in case this got lost in the switch over.
Yeah it got lost. Sorry. Moving back to bugs...

So this is happening with all discs from the Lite-On, not just one disc "from an over the air network broadcast of a TV show" ?
Yup. We record PBS's Nova each week and then put it on the iPod. This issue has occurred on all. I tried it again on a brand new Nova and it happened.

Note that this is not doing a complete dvd, just a chapter (10 minutes) but, again, this works fine in HB.

I can send a 43MB file via yousendit that has the issue. I can also post the screen shots of the settings for that rip.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

jehrler wrote:Yup. We record PBS's Nova each week and then put it on the iPod. This issue has occurred on all. I tried it again on a brand new Nova and it happened.
What applications are you using to record and burn the Nova eps? Does Lite-On have some special proprietary burning software, or does it just use the system services or Toast?

I guess, yeah, put up a short clip somewhere. I suggest mediafire over yousendit.
jehrler

Post by jehrler »

Hmmm. Clearly I'm not being clear.

This is being recorded on a standalone DVD reorder (http://www.liteonit.com/global/index.ph ... &Itemid=62 )that has a built in tuner. Thus, the software that creates the dvds is part of the firmware/hardware of the dvd recorder.

I'm uploading to mediafire now.

edit: Well I was till they went down. Will try later.
jehrler

Post by jehrler »

Ok, finally got mediafire to work.

Here is the file: http://www.mediafire.com/?3lewczlnyn5
nite

Post by nite »

hmm this sounds like the problem I'm having too. mine were recorded from tv w/ a standalone burner in real time also. (I have no idea witch one though)
fullstop102

Post by fullstop102 »

exactly the same issue here. stand alone recorder on dvd+rw and the sound is all messed up whichever format sound or video I choose. the audio section picks the audio as unknown mpeg in the chooser
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Sounds like MP2 audio instead of AC3 - very common on home video recorders.

HandBrake was designed to read MPEG audio, but it's clear there's a gap as far as MP2 handling is concerned, given the multiple reports centered around home recorders.

We'll look into it.

Rodney
jehrler

Post by jehrler »

That makes a lot of sense. Just to be clear, though, at least in my case HandBrake works fine, it is just MediaFork that is hiccuping.

Thanks for taking a look.
fullstop102

Post by fullstop102 »

yeah I just ran the same dvd through handbrake and it is perfect using 0.7.1.

very strange. thanks anyway I can use handbrake until this is resolved.

your all doing a great job
jehrler

Post by jehrler »

Do you guys need a DVD recorded on one of this standalone recorders for testing? I'd be happy to send one if so.
nite

Post by nite »

ya handbreak 0.7.1. worked here also. thanks
jehrler

0.8.5b1 update

Post by jehrler »

Not that this is a surprise given that it was not listed in the bug fixes, but the latest beta still has audio stuttering on home made DVDs.
Beege

Also on Commercial DVD's

Post by Beege »

I also received the same results with the following DVD's (using MTR)

IRON MAN
GROSSE POINT (although on 4th attempt it worked, no change in settings)
MARINE UNRATED (both the unrated and pg13 version)

sometimes the audio would only be in there in 2-3 minute incrememnts, and sometimes when it was in there it was out of sync as well.
maurj
Enlightened

Post by maurj »

There's a known problem in HandBrake 0.8.5b1 for DVDs with MPEG2 audio. This will include virtually all home-made DVDs, as most DVD burner apps will be encoding your audio in MPEG2 format. It should be working - all the infrastructure is in place to support MPEG2 audio in HandBrake - but something is broken.

Note: It did work fine in HandBrake 0.7.1, but a *lot* has changed since then.

I'm hoping to get chance to have a look at this and try and fix it for a future beta!

- maurj.
ajmas

Post by ajmas »

I am also having the same issue. At the moment I am having to use VLC to do the job, but since HandBrake offers some extra features I would rather be using that.

In VLC it indicates the audio track is 'mpga', though not sure what codec tht is.

EDIT: did a little more research and 'mpga' is mpeg-1/layer-3 (aka MP3)
ggjj

Same here

Post by ggjj »

With 0.8.5b1 I also get the audio chopped up for just one certain DVD that otherwise plays perfectly.

There are bursts of about 0.1 seconds of sound followed by about the same duration of silence, alternating continuously.

Using HB 0.7.1 however doesn't create this effect.
maurj
Enlightened

Post by maurj »

Hi ggjj,

Most likely this DVD has an MPEG2 audio track rather than an AC3 track - could you check? It should say MPEG on the audio dropdown in HandBrake.

- maurj.
ggjj

Post by ggjj »

maurj wrote:
Most likely this DVD has an MPEG2 audio track rather than an AC3 track - could you check? It should say MPEG on the audio dropdown in HandBrake.

- maurj.
Yes - it says "English (MPEG)".
Is this a known issue? Is there a known workaround?
pmoc

Chopping sound here too with MPEG sound track DVD

Post by pmoc »

I'm using the latest SVN of HB and I encounter the same problem as described before with mpeg sound DVD.

Hope this helps. Philippe.
awk
Enlightened

Re: Chopping sound here too with MPEG sound track DVD

Post by awk »

pmoc wrote:I'm using the latest SVN of HB and I encounter the same problem as described before with mpeg sound DVD.

Hope this helps. Philippe.
http://handbrake.m0k.org/trac/ticket/51

Is probably the 'best' ticket for this (though the title could probably do with updating). I'm looking into the problem - I don't have an ETA for a fix however.