Encoding chapters individually adds 1 second from the next

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

fullerflyer
Novice

Encoding chapters individually adds 1 second from the next

Post by fullerflyer »

I am burning Music Videos, one at a time, by chapter from DVD... Every time I do, the given chapter burns wonderfully, but it also attaches the first second of the subsequent chapter...

As a result, each time I finish a chapter (music video), it also includes 1 second of the next music video on the DVD. In burning U2's Best Of 1990 - 2000, when burning chapter 1, "Even Better Than The Real Thing," the video comes out fine, except that it includes the first second of chapter 2, "Mysterious Ways." Kind of annoying, nevertheless..

This is true, of course, for all chapters except for the final one (it burns perfectly well - proper length) as there is no subsequent chapter to take that 1 second from...

My only workaround so far has been to burn all the way through the chapter, up until the last 1 second of it, and then "Cancel" the encoding. This works well, but requires a bit of math and some fast fingers...
Nonsanity

Post by Nonsanity »

Does that happen for all DVDs, or just that one? I can see a DVD being encoded like that, but it's possible HB/MF would be doing it too.
fullerflyer
Novice

Post by fullerflyer »

Nonsanity wrote:Does that happen for all DVDs, or just that one? I can see a DVD being encoded like that, but it's possible HB/MF would be doing it too.
It does it on at least two different DVD's that I've tried... I haven't tried any others to know.

If it matters... when this occurs, it is when I do a 2-pass encoding, and when the chapter tracks are 3 - 5 minutes in length. I don't know that either of those parameters are causes, because I haven't tried any variations from that. Initially, I was thinking that the 2-pass encoding might have something to do with it???
djwiz

Post by djwiz »

i'm having the same problem but sometimes my chapters are cut early. this is happening in mf as well.
borndevil

Post by borndevil »

same here! mediafork takes 2 sec of next chapter!
zumpa940

Post by zumpa940 »

when using handbrake i did a similar thing with Vertigo 2005 live in chicago (great U2 concert on Dvd by the way).
I didnt notice anything with the length of the chepters.

I did have another problem though...they worked fine with my U2 video ipod at first and now they FREEZE MY IPOD a couple seconds into each chap! Ive tryied reset and all that but nothing worked (i could re-rip but that would take forever!) ANy ideas? again those were done with HB: 2-pass, h264 baseline profile, 320x240, average bitrate 700 and as mp4 videos. I have other tv shows done with mpeg-4 ipod settings that work fine.

Oh ya one last thing, those tv shows (firefly) were all done with HB except for one in mediafork, which skips about two second in the middle.

sorry for posting soo many questions...
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

zumpa940 wrote:I did have another problem though...they worked fine with my U2 video ipod at first and now they FREEZE MY IPOD a couple seconds into each chap! Ive tryied reset and all that but nothing worked (i could re-rip but that would take forever!) ANy ideas? again those were done with HB: 2-pass, h264 baseline profile, 320x240, average bitrate 700 and as mp4 videos. I have other tv shows done with mpeg-4 ipod settings that work fine.
The rips themselves don't change over time. If they used to work with your iPod and now they cause freezes, you have a problem with your iPod and I would recommend that you first make sure it is updated to the latest firmware via iTunes and then contact Apple Support.

Rodney
zumpa940

Post by zumpa940 »

well i think ill be making a phone call or two soon
djwiz

Post by djwiz »

it doesn't look like the chapter fix is coming anytime soon so...can anyone suggest any software that will rip by chapters and encode to mpg or mpg4 with good quality?