Unable to run any nightly build

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Overspeed

Unable to run any nightly build

Post by Overspeed »

I just uninstalled 0.9.8 and installed HandBrake-svn4978_x86_64-Win_GUI.exe. When I run the program all I get a a blank white screen. I also tried 4 previous nightlies and get the same thing. When I close the blank white screen, the following error is displayed:

Code: Select all

An Unknown Error has occured.
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at HandBrakeWPF.ViewModels.ShellViewModel.CanClose() in c:\HandBrake\Hudson\workspace\WindowsGui64\CS\HandBrakeWPF\ViewModels\ShellViewModel.cs:line 164
   at HandBrakeWPF.Views.ShellView.OnClosing(CancelEventArgs e) in c:\HandBrake\Hudson\workspace\WindowsGui64\CS\HandBrakeWPF\Views\ShellView.xaml.cs:line 55
   at System.Windows.Window.WmClose()
   at System.Windows.Window.WindowFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.PublicHooksFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
Ideas?
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Logs should be placed in between [code] [/code] blocks
Overspeed

Re: Unable to run any nightly build

Post by Overspeed »

Since my last post, all nightlies have been the same, when opening the window is blank, when closing the above error is displayed. Am I missing something? Am using the Win64 GUI nightlies.
mithrandir
Enlightened

Post by mithrandir »

I just downloaded SVN 5024 (artifact: HandBrake-svn5024_i686-Win_GUI.exe) and am experiencing the same problem. Completely blank screen. When I close Handbrake I also receive the same error message.

I reinstalled 4907 and that is working fine.
mithrandir
Enlightened

Post by mithrandir »

I just got a new PC and SVN 5024 opens, runs and closes fine on it.

The old PC has a Radeon 6450 video card and Win7 32-bit
The new PC has an Intel HD 4000 IGP and Win7 64-bit
proximous

Post by proximous »

I experienced the exact problem detailed in the original post with HandBrake-svn5021_x86_64-Win_GUI and with the very latest HandBrake-svn5040_x86_64-Win_GUI.

Since this problem clearly still exists, and no solution has been posted to this thread, I thought I would share how I resolved it.

Since the prior post commented that it worked fine on a "new PC", I figured it must be something leftover from the uninstall of 0.9.8 (or other prior installed version) that was causing a conflict. So I renamed %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\HandBrake to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\HandBrake-old. Then HandBrake-svn5040_x86_64-Win_GUI started fine.

I did not debug what file or setting in the directory caused the problem.

If a developer would like me to post the contents of that directory I'm happy to do so. I'm also happy to help debug this problem with a developer if desired.

I hope this information saves others some hassle when upgrading to a nightly.
jpgivens

Post by jpgivens »

I had the same issue but was able to resolve it by using your suggestion.

Thank you.