Still can't get latest Handbrake to work

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

mkelley
Bright Spark User

Still can't get latest Handbrake to work

Post by mkelley »

Since I've started with the latest Window 64bit (on Win 7 64bit) nightly builds about two weeks ago I've yet to get any of them to run. I get the same errors regardless of the build.

First, when loading it in, I get this:

Code: Select all

An Unknown Error has occured.
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at HandBrakeWPF.ViewModels.MainViewModel.set_SelectedPreset(Preset value) in c:\HandBrake\Hudson\workspace\WindowsGui64\CS\HandBrakeWPF\ViewModels\MainViewModel.cs:line 402
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(IRuntimeMethodInfo method, Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeType typeOwner)
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(IRuntimeMethodInfo method, Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeType typeOwner)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
   at Caliburn.Micro.ActionMessage.<.cctor>b__d(ActionExecutionContext context) in C:\Projects\Blue Spire\Caliburn.Micro\src\Caliburn.Micro.Silverlight\ActionMessage.cs:line 266
   at Caliburn.Micro.ActionMessage.Invoke(Object eventArgs) in C:\Projects\Blue Spire\Caliburn.Micro\src\Caliburn.Micro.Silverlight\ActionMessage.cs:line 228
   at System.Windows.Interactivity.TriggerBase.InvokeActions(Object parameter)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at MS.Internal.FrameworkObject.OnLoaded(RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastEvent(DependencyObject root, RoutedEvent routedEvent)
   at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastLoadedEvent(Object root)
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireLoadedPendingCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireInvokeOnRenderCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandlerCore(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandler(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.OnResize()
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
Then after I close the error window and try scanning a title I get this (at the last title of any scan):

Code: Select all

An Unknown Error has occured.
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at HandBrakeWPF.ViewModels.PictureSettingsViewModel.SetSource(Title title, Preset preset, EncodeTask task) in c:\HandBrake\Hudson\workspace\WindowsGui64\CS\HandBrakeWPF\ViewModels\PictureSettingsViewModel.cs:line 703
   at HandBrakeWPF.ViewModels.MainViewModel.SetupTabs() in c:\HandBrake\Hudson\workspace\WindowsGui64\CS\HandBrakeWPF\ViewModels\MainViewModel.cs:line 1495
   at HandBrakeWPF.ViewModels.MainViewModel.set_SelectedTitle(Title value) in c:\HandBrake\Hudson\workspace\WindowsGui64\CS\HandBrakeWPF\ViewModels\MainViewModel.cs:line 709
   at HandBrakeWPF.ViewModels.MainViewModel.<>c__DisplayClass24.<ScanCompleted>b__22() in c:\HandBrake\Hudson\workspace\WindowsGui64\CS\HandBrakeWPF\ViewModels\MainViewModel.cs:line 1605
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
On my Macbook Air the latest build runs just fine (and solves all my problems) but I'd sure like to get a Windows build working (I haven't tried the 32bit versions yet -- I guess I could, though).
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Still can't get latest Handbrake to work

Post by s55 »

I'll try take a look at the code at the weekend. My dev box is in pieces.... again right now.

Is "Normal" still the default preset? If not, make sure it is. (If you've set the default to a user preset, and that user preset was from an older build of HandBrake, it won't have been updated and could cause this)
Failing that
Delete all config / preset files (see https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/FileLocations for paths) and let it regenerate everything. I'm going to guess and suspect something is corrupted.
mkelley
Bright Spark User

Post by mkelley »

Okay, erasing all traces of Handbrake and reinstalling worked (even though when I put any of the nightlies on it told me it was uninstalling Handbrake, I guess it still didn't remove the prefs).

I'm running right now and if you don't hear again from me all is well (so don't bother looking at it for my sake :>)
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

User prefs are never removed. If someone wants to come up with a patch for the nsis installer script to optionally allow this, I'd be open to it :)