[4598svn] Muxed MKVs seem to miss video FPS information

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

MadOCer

[4598svn] Muxed MKVs seem to miss video FPS information

Post by MadOCer »

Hello,

I had this problem for some time now and a fix would be highly appreciated.
I mainly use Handbrake to produce X264 based MKV files. All the handbrake versions I use are directly from John Stebbins's snapshot repo ( https://launchpad.net/~stebbins/+archiv ... -snapshots ).

The OS I use is Debian unstable, so maybe that's causing some problems.

The problem is that every muxed MKV file (HD or SD, doesn't matter), lacks the fps information and lots of players refuse to play back the files correctly, because of that. Mediainfo just shows 0.00 fps for the contained video.
After remuxing the files with the proper FPS information, using MKVToolnix, all files play flawlessly and Mediainfo shows the correct fps. I encode with constant FPS and had the fps setting on "same as source". The strange thing is that changing the setting to 25 frames per second ( for example for DVD content), didn't change a thing. The output MKV still lacked the fps info, although the fps were always correctly listed in the log files.

If you need any additional information, please let me know.

Regards

MadOCer
MadOCer

Re: [4598svn] Muxed MKVs seem to miss video FPS information

Post by MadOCer »

Update:

I just encoded another DVD rip and this time the output MKV was fine, inclucing the correct FPS setting of 25fps. :?:

What I did change is that I deleted my old presets and created a new one, that I used for the encode. Same GUI settings as before. Could it be that the old preset somehow messed up the settings?
MadOCer

Post by MadOCer »

Update Nr. 2:

OK, it seems to only happen when doing 2-pass encodes. The one file where it worked, was when I accidentally only did a 1-pass encode. All the following files, which were set to use 2-pass encoding (with turbo first pass) again produced MKV files without FPS information.

Just have a look at the 2 log files, if it helps any:

http://www.hs-augsburg.de/~ingmar_k/handbrake/

File 01... is the log where the output file was OK. File 02... the one where the bug manifested again.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Thanks for the very helpful diagnosis
Fixed https://trac.handbrake.fr/changeset/4599
MadOCer

Post by MadOCer »

Great! Thank you very much for the prompt fix, John. :)

Edit:
Confirming that it's fixed with the new version. Just encoded some videos and it again works as intended.