Distorted GUI of MPEG1 DVD

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Bluemint

Distorted GUI of MPEG1 DVD

Post by Bluemint »

As you can see from above, everything within the "Crop" option box is jumbled up. None of the options is mouse clickable. Fortunately we can Close the Picture Settings by hitting the Return key on the keyboard.

So unless we don't need to amend any of the Picture Settings, MediaFork cannot encode MPEG-1 format DVD (352x240 for NTSC, 352x288 for PAL).

Please look into this matter, and thank you for reviving Handbrake.

Cheers!

Ps. This problem exists in the current Handbrake too, and irregardless of whether the "modified" GUI is applied or not.

---
MediaFork Version 0.8.0b1 (2007021100)
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: Distorted GUI of MPEG1 DVD

Post by jbrjake »

Bluemint wrote:So unless we don't need to amend any of the Picture Settings, MediaFork cannot encode MPEG-1 format DVD (352x240 for NTSC, 352x288 for PAL).
There is no such thing as an MPEG-1 format DVD. You are just storing a VCD on a DVD-R. DVD==MPEG-2.

From the official DVD forum:
DVD is mastered as CCIR601 4:2:2 digital component video and utilizes 100% MPEG-2
MediaFork has never been advertised as supporting anything but DVDs, so I do not see how this could possibly be a bug.
Bluemint

Post by Bluemint »

jbrjake wrote:
Bluemint wrote:So unless we don't need to amend any of the Picture Settings, MediaFork cannot encode MPEG-1 format DVD (352x240 for NTSC, 352x288 for PAL).
There is no such thing as an MPEG-1 format DVD. You are just storing a VCD on a DVD-R. DVD==MPEG-2.
I'm not entirely sure if DVD==MPEG-2 only.

I've been authoring DVDs in MPEG-1 resolutions in Apple's DVD Studio Pro. The DVD-Video discs are playable on all DVD players I know of.

Apple's Compressor, since ver 1.2, has an option for encoding in MPEG-1 for DVD-Video as well.

This page in VideoHelp.com, under the "Technical Info for DVD-Video" heading also list MPEG-1 is for DVD-Video. Likewise on this site. Unfortunately, except for your quoted reference, I'm unable to find any other references to MPEG-1 for DVD-Video in the authoritive DVD Forum.

To the best of my knowledge, MPEG-1 is an acceptable format for DVD-Video even though it's primarily used in VCD.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Bluemint wrote: I'm not entirely sure if DVD==MPEG-2 only.
My bad, you're right. The DVD Forum is just misleading. The reverse-engineered DVD-video specs include a header field for designating content MPEG-1 or MPEG-2:
http://dvd.sourceforge.net/dvdinfo/ifo.html

I was also thrown off by the name of the decoder we use, libmpeg2. Figured we wouldn't be able to support mpeg-1 without including a new library. Turns out, though, libmpeg2 can decode mpeg-1 as well.

Unfortunately, implementing something like this is too technical and complicated a task for me. I will make a note to add it to the Trac soon, though.
prigaux
Experienced

Post by prigaux »

The problem seems to be the Picture size is half D1 (352x240 for NTSC, 352x288 for PAL) and normal DVDs are full D1, the picture controler is resized based on the picture size but here, we don't have enough space from the controls.

Dyna can probably fix it easy setting minimal sizes for this sheet, after that, a fix harder to figure is to correct the aspect ratio...

Philippe
mhar4

Post by mhar4 »

A lot of DVDs from Asia of tv shows and the like are non-standard resolutions, sometimes MPEG1 or half-height MPEG2 (SVCDs authored as DVDs). Fixing the display but will be much appreciated.