subtitles missing

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Unkagar wrote:This continued poor handling of subtitles is extremely disappointing to me.
Unkagar wrote: I can not recommend this software without reservation.
... and that is extremely disappointing to me. ;)
eddyg
Veteran User

Post by eddyg »

Unkagar wrote: Uneven timing of subtitle display, some loss of subtitle display with change of the chapter on the DVD.
This has been reported, and I will be looking at this in the future via examination and rewrite of the syncing process between video, audio and subtitles.

Just be aware that this hasn't been jumped on by people like me because I don't get any of these problems.. don't know why I don't and you do.

So I need to do some further testing - but first some other stuff.

Cheers, Ed.
Unkagar

Post by Unkagar »

rhester wrote:
Every time we miss a recommendation, an angel loses its wings.
Then there are many wingless angels about. :)

dynaflash wrote:
... and that is extremely disappointing to me.
If you know just how little I recommend anything to anybody, you would realize just how much it means that I can't give this software my whole hearted recommendation. :(

eddyg wrote:
his has been reported, and I will be looking at this in the future via examination and rewrite of the syncing process between video, audio and subtitles.

Just be aware that this hasn't been jumped on by people like me because I don't get any of these problems.. don't know why I don't and you do.

So I need to do some further testing - but first some other stuff.
If you are interested I can sent to you the files that I am working with. In addition to the output from HB and DVDRemaster to compare. This is of course up to you. But it might help.

What y'all have here is a program that is nearly perfect in what it does for its intended audience. I am not going to exaggerate my importance in the grande schema of things. However I am member of this software's intended audience of users. Remember a happy user is one that will recommend the fruit of your work to other potential users and you never know which user will be the one that could a difference.

Y'all be good now and help make me a happy user. :D
TAB100

Post by TAB100 »

eddyg wrote:
Unkagar wrote: Uneven timing of subtitle display, some loss of subtitle display with change of the chapter on the DVD.
This has been reported, and I will be looking at this in the future via examination and rewrite of the syncing process between video, audio and subtitles.

A couple of other data points to help triangulate on the problem. I'm seeing a subtitle issue with Babel. Babel is one of the movies that when you watch in a normal DVD player turns subtitles on only for the foriegn language scenes.

If I select the first "English" subtitle, I get subtitles throughout the entire movie. They appear to be properly timed from my spot tests.

But if I select the second "English" subtitle (which is last in the list), this appears to be the one the DVD normally uses putting titles up only during foreign language scenes. For this selection, the subtitles are coming on too early out of sync with the video by a matter of 4 or 5 seconds.

Details:
- Seems to happens with various encoding settings (tried Blind & AppleTV)
- Running on Windows Vista
- Ripped with AnyDVD
- Using latest Handbrake release (0.9.0)
eddyg
Veteran User

Post by eddyg »

TAB100 wrote:
eddyg wrote:

A couple of other data points to help triangulate on the problem. I'm seeing a subtitle issue with Babel. Babel is one of the movies that when you watch in a normal DVD player turns subtitles on only for the foriegn language scenes.

If I select the first "English" subtitle, I get subtitles throughout the entire movie. They appear to be properly timed from my spot tests.

But if I select the second "English" subtitle (which is last in the list), this appears to be the one the DVD normally uses putting titles up only during foreign language scenes. For this selection, the subtitles are coming on too early out of sync with the video by a matter of 4 or 5 seconds.

Details:
- Seems to happens with various encoding settings (tried Blind & AppleTV)
- Running on Windows Vista
- Ripped with AnyDVD
- Using latest Handbrake release (0.9.0)
Babel is using Forced Subtitles, if you use the subtitle autoselect + Forced subtitle option in 0.9.1 when it is released then Babel will work fine for you.

Cheers, Ed.
TAB100

Post by TAB100 »

I just downloaded 0.9.1. Did the Windows interface not get an option for selecting "forced subtitles?" I just tried Babel again and it did not have the Forced subtitles showing up in the resulting file.
eddyg
Veteran User

Post by eddyg »

TAB100 wrote:I just downloaded 0.9.1. Did the Windows interface not get an option for selecting "forced subtitles?" I just tried Babel again and it did not have the Forced subtitles showing up in the resulting file.
It's in the Windows CLI, I don't know about the GUI.

Cheers, Ed.
TAB100

Post by TAB100 »

One thing fixed, still having one problem.

First good news, the sync issue I was having with Babel when manually selecting subtitle #2 (the forced subtitle one) is now fixed. The subtitles line up with the speech.

I tried the Query Editor (using windows) to get the auto select of forced subtitles working. Assuming I did this right, putting "-U -s -F" at the end of the query string, subtitles did not show up. I saw the following lines show up in the CMD window which I think are relevant.

+ subtitle tracks:
+ 1, English (iso639-2: eng)
+ 2, Espanol (iso639-2: spa)
+ 3, Francais (iso639-2: fre)
+ 4, English (iso639-2: eng)
Subtitle Scan Enabled - enabling subtitles if found for foreign language segments

[22:14:33] Subtitle stream 0x21bd 'English': 1384 hits (0 forced)
[22:14:33] Subtitle stream 0x27bd 'English': 698 hits (0 forced)
[22:14:33] No candidate subtitle detected during subtitle-scan

Travis
eddyg
Veteran User

Post by eddyg »

Hi,

The autodetect only works if:

1) Forced subtitles have been used
2) If there is no more than 10% of the movie in a foreign language

If neither of these are true, as in the case of Babel, then you will have to select the subtitles manually. The autodetect will give you a clue as to what to use, in your case 0x27bd, which you can map to the subtitle language in the scan, probably the second English one, track 4.

See the HandBrakeGuide on Subtitles:

http://handbrake.m0k.org/trac/wiki/Subtitles

The reason for 10% is that it was a reasonable threshold that didn't get false positives for commentary tracks.

Babel is 50% in a foreign language, and so is not detected. The good thing is that you generally know when a film of yours is more than 10% in a foreign language and so don't need the autodetect.

Cheers, Ed.