2-pass ghosting + advanced settings

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
h00ligan

2-pass ghosting + advanced settings

Post by h00ligan »

Wondering if anyone else has seen a strange ghosting issue with 2 pass encoding. The best way i can explain it is that it seems like it doesn't forget the last 2 frames previous to the present. On shows like 24 (which i am trying to rip seasons of) it's a problem as the camera style is slightly shaky, which means there's always this ghosting blob.

Also - I wonder what the difference is in the default calls between the mac and pc version.

If i set to a 2 pass, at 1500 h264 - there is a significant quality difference between encoding on a mac and on a pc. It was my understanding that the underpinnings were the same so this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Does the mac version of handbrake implement some deblocking or other options of which the windows one is not capable?

Thanks for any and all help.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

They operate the same, infact I have never come accross any quality difference between the 2. Are you sure you used the exact same settings?
h00ligan

Post by h00ligan »

sr55 wrote:They operate the same, infact I have never come accross any quality difference between the 2. Are you sure you used the exact same settings?
well, i set it to 2 pass 1500 - i can try to do the same file if i can find something small - and post them up for you to look at - but that's sort of what i am wondering - they use all the same defaults.. so strange. the ghosting thing in particular was the big deal with it - maybe i can crop out a piece of the finished file - what's the best way to crop an mp4 - durr quicktime pro i guess.