MinGW/Windows port having problems with ffmpeg 2-pass

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
mirkwood
Experienced

MinGW/Windows port having problems with ffmpeg 2-pass

Post by mirkwood »

I'm working on getting HandBrake (libhb and HBTest.exe) compiled and running using the MinGW gcc compiler on Windows (within the Cygwin environment, which I know sounds confusing given that we have a Cygwin build, but it'll be explained later). I plan to post details on this when I have it figured out, but I've run into a problem with ffmpeg and 2-pass encoding.

If I try to encode using ffmpeg and 2-pass encoding, the resulting video output is of very low quality. GSpot reports the file has a video bitrate of only 100bps!

I'm not sure what's going on here.

So just as quick as I get x264 encoding working with the MinGW build, ffmpeg 2-pass breaks...sigh.

I guess, at worst, if I can't get this figured out by 0.7.2, we could release the Windows 0.7.2 build with the caveat that you can't do 2-pass ffmpeg.

I'd be happier to have a 2-pass working with H.264 and Xvid, than staying with the Cygwin build which doesn't reliably work with H.264 single pass encoding.
mirkwood
Experienced

Post by mirkwood »

This problem is fixed with the MinGW/Windoze build by using ffmpeg rev 7433. I checked out the ffmpeg trunk from svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg/trunk, built it and used it with my MinGW build of HBTest, and this low video quality problem went away.
prigaux
Experienced

Post by prigaux »

HI, I have spend the whole day yesterday to try to build it in mingw, so far, so bad, I can compile mpeg2dec at all.

Do you continue to work on the mingw build ? If not, can you provide me with the work you allready did ? Or information on how to acheve it ?

Thx in advance

Philippe