Handbrake and netbooks

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
MySchizoBuddy

Handbrake and netbooks

Post by MySchizoBuddy »

Almost all netbooks have a max resolution of 1024x600, but handbrake requires 1024x720 or greater. what are my options
Windows SVN version
Acer Aspire One
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Handbrake and netbooks

Post by s55 »

Your only option is to use the CLI. The GUI window is too large to fit on that screen.

Bare in mind though, that the Intel Atom processor is not really much use for video encoding. It'll be painfully slow.
ssj2_goha
Enlightened

Post by ssj2_goha »

slow is putting it nicely........
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I did say painfully for emphasis ;)
MySchizoBuddy

Post by MySchizoBuddy »

well i'm not encoding dvds.
just family videos max 2 min long in MotionJpeg format. they are like 50MB or so and would love to shrink them down.

Even with a slow processor i can still convert 2 min of videos.
so please reconsider making changes to the UI to fit netbook resolutions.

Thankyou
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

It's not going to happen. Netbook screens are just too small. Period.
Fitting 700px worth of content on a screen with only 600px, of which around 35~50 are taken up by a start menu, is just not feasible.

Bare in mind, as new features get added, the space constants already in place are going to play a bigger role.

Sorry.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

s55, I never programmed in .net, but in cocoa you can embed everything inside an NSScrollView with one command in Interface Builder, and then the scrollbar will automatically appears when needed. Maybe there is something similar in .net too.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

:oops: bah, completely obvious solution staring me in the face. Yeh, the WinForm windows do have an autoscroll functionality.

If I can re-configure the a few of the windows without it having a hissy fit, then fair play. I won't be optimizing for that display size though so it'll probably be quite tedious to use.
At the moment it's optimized towards 1024x720 so that it fit's on HD 720 Panels.

I am still concerned that people are going to try to use this for full length movies though. I don't really want to be dealing with a pile of "why doesn't this work and why is it so slow" type questions.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

What gives you the right to tell people how they can and can't use their netbooks? :roll:

:lol:

(Note: This is a poor attempt at humor since people always use that argument when talking about Apple and their "restrictive" policies for AppleTV/iPod format playback.)
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Would you rather I leave it unrestricted only to have them come in whining for not warning them it wouldn't work? ;)
MySchizoBuddy

Post by MySchizoBuddy »

people with netbooks know their computers are slow.
btw netbooks don't have a dvd drive either. very few of them will be ripping dvds via an external drive.
you already see people with powerful computers whine why the latest build dropped by 1fps. I doubt netbook users would be any more whinny that them.

scrolling window will be fine for me :)
the icons on the top could use the option of "show small icons" or "show only text"
thank you
webvan

Post by webvan »

Just picked up an MSI Wind and could use that feature too for my short home videos. Encoding is not a lot slower than on my old IBM X31 P4M anyway ;-)