Cropping?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
blademan88

Cropping?

Post by blademan88 »

Hi all,
I've read a few guides for the Windows version of Handbrake, but haven't seen anything mentioned about cropping. I've noticed some titles when I select "view title" have some cropping numbers listed. Should I be entering anything in the picture setting? Or just leave it empty? Auto-crop? Thanks a ton! Appreciate it greatly!

And if you don't mind, whats the best resolution I can use for iPod for 1.78:1 films? Thanks again!!

Supurb work sr55!!!!
blademan88

Post by blademan88 »

bump :)
cbud
Bright Spark User

Post by cbud »

The answer to your question (if I understand it right) seems obvious, that's probably why no one has responded.

You can leave auto crop on or you can custom crop. Auto crop on widescreen material works great. If you are doing video for the iPod and it is letter boxed, then I would crop out the black bars. The max resolution for the iPod is 640 x 480, so I would make your video as large as you can without your height or width exceeding those numbers.
blademan88

Post by blademan88 »

I'm sorry, but I guess I just don't understand exactly what it's doing when it crops. I understand the difference between the 1.33, 1.78, etc ratios. However, I don't see what cropping does? Would leaving it on auto allow for me to always see the "entire" picture? Thats the thing I'm most concerned about, making sure nothing on the picture is cut off. Sorry if this is obvious, I guess I'm just missing it :?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Best way to use it is leave height and width blank

Set it to auto and it should give you an output 720x whatever is correct. IT should not cut parts of the video off.

Best trying it to see what happens.
The Greg

Post by The Greg »

I cant even get a file to crop at all. This is frustrating as I'd like to make a custom dvd using adobe encore and encore only accepts 720x480 or 720x486 or 704x480 files. If I cant crop them to one of those sizes, encore rejects the file!

The Greg