Which settings fix interlacing?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
xichael

Which settings fix interlacing?

Post by xichael »

I've got some awful lines across my DVD picture whenever there's movement.
I gather that this is called interlacing.

So which settings should I use to clear this up during encoding?
Deinterlace would be the obvious candidate, but detelecine sounds like it does something similar.
Starhawk
Experienced

Re: Which settings fix interlacing?

Post by Starhawk »

A lot of this is covered in the documentation.

You may want to download the current Snapshot which has a new Decomb setting that may also help you out. On that note, you may also want to wait until the next Snapshot version is released as it will include improvements to the Decomb feature. Not sure when they're releasing it though.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Err...that shot looks season 4 of The Wire, is it?

As far as I know, The Wire isn't interlaced. It's telecined.
xichael

Post by xichael »

Your right, The Wire, season 4. Good eye...

So how to determine whether something has been interlaced vs telecined?

And what's the new Decomb feature all about? Would it be a better option than the other two?

It seems there are multiple tools around to fix this, but it's not made clear which to use...
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

xichael wrote:So how to determine whether something has been interlaced vs telecined?
...by reading the documentation instead of asking me to repeat what I've written there.
And what's the new Decomb feature all about? Would it be a better option than the other two?
It's fully described on the forum, I'm not bothering with documentation until a release, and no, not for telecined content.
It seems there are multiple tools around to fix this, but it's not made clear which to use...
VFR detelecine.....as is recommended in the docs.
xichael

Post by xichael »

Could you post a few links to said docs?

I appreciate your help...
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

I guess its too much to look at the top of the page... :roll:
xichael

Post by xichael »

I've looked, read the deinterlacing guide, but can't find anything about detelecining... Can you?
Or rather, would you? If you know where the info is, why not post a link?
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

xichael wrote:I've looked, read the deinterlacing guide, but can't find anything about detelecining... Can you?
Or rather, would you? If you know where the info is, why not post a link?
<sigh>...because most of us won't spoon feed you something thats readily available in the documentation that you claimed to read. Fortunately for you, TedJ is in his "Happy Place" and spoon fed you anyway. Don't get used to it!

Anymore lazy demands, and this thread will be locked.
xichael

Post by xichael »

My point is, if you've bothered to read the thread, and then decided to go through trouble of replying, why not be as helpful as you can?

I'm not asking anyone to spoonfeed me, nor am I making any demands, I'm just calling on those who would like to share their time and knowledge to kindly help elucidate this rather complicated and time consuming process -- for me, and for any other handbrake users who find this thread.

I'm just wondering how you figure it's more useful to criticize or insult your users than it is to help them, or get out of the way for someone who's willing to? There's a real air of bitterness about having to be bothered in this forum. If you have such disdain for your users, why do you bother?

My only "lazy demand" is for some respect.

P.S. Nowhere in the given documentation did I find an answer to my initial question. It's still not clear which setting I should use to fix the interlacing. I guess I'll just try each till I find the best. Thanks for your help.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

xichael wrote:My point is, if you've bothered to read the thread, and then decided to go through trouble of replying, why not be as helpful as you can?
...If you bother to read the documentation and search the forums (both which are required before posting), you would not have had a need to post.
xichael wrote:I'm not asking anyone to spoonfeed me, nor am I making any demands, I'm just calling on those who would like to share their time and knowledge to kindly help elucidate this rather complicated and time consuming process -- for me, and for any other handbrake users who find this thread.
... <translate> I want someone who did what they were suppose to do, to give me the answers I'm too lazy to find on my own...Spoon Feeding.
xichael wrote:I'm just wondering how you figure it's more useful to criticize or insult your users than it is to help them, or get out of the way for someone who's willing to?
...When you lied and said you read the Docs, and didn't. Then alluded to the non-fact that I wouldn't de able to find such documentation because it didn't exist.
xichael wrote:There's a real air of bitterness about having to be bothered in this forum. If you have such disdain for your users, why do you bother?
...I too ask myself this question over and over again recently.
xichael wrote:My only "lazy demand" is for some respect.
...Too bad none was promised.
xichael wrote:P.S. Nowhere in the given documentation did I find an answer to my initial question. It's still not clear which setting I should use to fix the interlacing. I guess I'll just try each till I find the best. Thanks for your help.
xichael wrote:So which settings should I use to clear this up during encoding?
jbrjake wrote:As far as I know, The Wire isn't interlaced. It's telecined.
...then...

:roll: <useless>
thundar

Post by thundar »

Postby xichael on Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:41 pm
My point is, if you've bothered to read the thread, and then decided to go through trouble of replying, why not be as helpful as you can?

I'm not asking anyone to spoonfeed me, nor am I making any demands, I'm just calling on those who would like to share their time and knowledge to kindly help elucidate this rather complicated and time consuming process -- for me, and for any other handbrake users who find this thread.

I'm just wondering how you figure it's more useful to criticize or insult your users than it is to help them, or get out of the way for someone who's willing to? There's a real air of bitterness about having to be bothered in this forum. If you have such disdain for your users, why do you bother?

Just wanted to chime in on this aging thread because i think this is important.

xichael is absolutely right. There IS a lot of bitterness or SOMEthing going on with some of you mods/devs. Seems some of you would rather just argue instead of getting out of the way, like xichael mentioned. While some people may be lazy, it's not the case for many others. So...if you guys have nothing USEFUL to add, then why not just stay quiet? Or is that not fun for you? Not trying to be rude, but some of you guys need to be checked, even if you do work hard on this project.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

We do not need to discuss this again.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

thundar wrote:Just wanted to chime in on this aging thread because i think this is important.

xichael is absolutely right. There IS a lot of bitterness or SOMEthing going on with some of you mods/devs. Seems some of you would rather just argue instead of getting out of the way, like xichael mentioned. While some people may be lazy, it's not the case for many others. So...if you guys have nothing USEFUL to add, then why not just stay quiet? Or is that not fun for you? Not trying to be rude, but some of you guys need to be checked, even if you do work hard on this project.
If the mods/devs were to get out of the way then the silence in response to nearly ALL questions would be deafening.

The fact is 99% of users on this forum register, ask the same questions that are covered in the FAQs/Documentation, get their answer/abuse depending on moderator mood and then never return. The users who stay around and help other users are a tiny minority.

The number of users who have 30 or more posts is a pitiful 97 out of 6866 users, or 1.4% of our total membership.

http://forum.handbrake.fr/memberlist.ph ... memberlist
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

thundar wrote:xichael is absolutely right. There IS a lot of bitterness or SOMEthing going on with some of you mods/devs. Seems some of you would rather just argue instead of getting out of the way, like xichael mentioned. While some people may be lazy, it's not the case for many others. So...if you guys have nothing USEFUL to add, then why not just stay quiet? Or is that not fun for you? Not trying to be rude, but some of you guys need to be checked, even if you do work hard on this project.
Bull-[Censored].

Absolute bull-[Censored].

I told this guy exactly what he needed to do, and he decided to ignore it.

*THAT* was rude.

I wasted my time putting together documentation -- animated visual aids demonstrating both interlacing and telecining, explanations of what they are, how to fix them in HandBrake, and tips on which filter to use when -- and I think I am entirely justified to see people who refuse to use it as *lazy and disrespectful.*