Widescreen matted with white not black

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
pjs

Widescreen matted with white not black

Post by pjs »

I have been using v0.9.1 successfully for some weeks (excellent piece of software - congrats) and have just upgraded to v0.9.2. I now find that when viewing a converted widescreen dvd with Windows Media Centre, the top and bottom matte areas are displayed in white not black. I have converted many dvds with v0.9.1 and never had this problem before. I am using the same setup as with v0.9.1 (Deux Six Quatre preset, mkv container, anamorphic, automatic crop and ac3 passthrough). I don't know if this may provide a clue, but with v0.9.1 I always had to re-mux the result with mkvmerge, and the HB mkv file would not delete (I had to use "unlocker" to delete the file). With v0.9.2 both of these problems seem to have been resolved, so I wonder whether there is any connection with my matte "problem".
pjs

Re: Widescreen matted with white not black

Post by pjs »

Update....
Although (on my system at least) widescreen dvds encoded with 0.9.2 show white matte top and bottom bands when played with Windows Media Centre, compared with 0.9.1 which had always previously shown black matte, I have now found a satisfactory work-around. It is possible to set the background colour (grayscale) in WMC in 10 steps between white and black. It was previously set to 50%, so I have changed it to 100% black and it now plays ok with black matte bands.
Peter