Sound is there, but Screen stays black!?!?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Kyruss

Sound is there, but Screen stays black!?!?

Post by Kyruss »

Hello,

my problem with the 0.9.2 is, that at about 50% of the converted files, the sound is playing, but the picture stays black. If I use the 0.9.1 with the same source, the sound and the picture is there and fine. I use the PS3 settings wit aditional 2-pass, with turbo 1st.

Any on got an idea?

THX

cu
Kyruss
RoyBullets

Re: Sound is there, but Screen stays black!?!?

Post by RoyBullets »

Have you tried a different video player software. This happens once in awhile to me and I have recently started using VLC from VideoLan and it seems to be able to play anything.
Kyruss

Post by Kyruss »

Hello,

I'm using the PS3 Profile, cause I use a PS3 as Player.8)

So the problem should not be the Player, more likely the videofile is causing the touble.

...as I would think and say.......

cu
Kyruss
hheien

Post by hheien »

I have exactly the same problem.

If I don't encode the file, but just use a VOB2MPEG program I've downloaded, all my videos shows just fine. When I re-encode it with Handbrake at the PS3 settings (to multiplex in subtitles) I get just sound and no picture in about half of the DVD's I'm encoding.

It seems to have something to do with resolution. If I choose the length and width from one of the \encodings that worked previously it will encode fine. This just replaces my problem with a new problem since the picture in the video will be stretched out in various strange ways. I tried using "Loose anamorphic" because I read somewhere that the pixel ratio had to be divisible by 16 to show properly, but this didn't resolve my problem either.

Anybody have any idea about what to try next? I've pasted in the "generated query" from the settings I used in my last encoding:

-i "C:\temp\MainMovie\TROY\VIDEO_TS" -o "C:\temp\TroyTest.mp4" -e x264 -E faac -P 16 -b 2000 -x level=41:subme=5:me=umh -B 160 -R 48 -D 1 -v -s 1

The changes I've done from the PS3 preset:

-P 16: Use loose anamorphic with modulus 16
-b 2000: Changed the bitrate to 2000 (Just to try something new........)
-s 1: Putting in subtitles

It would be great if somebody observed me doing something hopelessly stupid in the above query. If you do, please reply to the thread and enlighten me! :wink:
Kyruss

Post by Kyruss »

Hi,

I know, that this is not a real 'Help'!

But for me, I use the older Version of HB.

If You take a look around, there are several Users with the same problem.

There screen stays black on the PS3 and on the XBox 360. So I would realy say that there ist a 'Bug' or somthing like that in HB.

By now, no one could provide a answert that produces a working profile.

I hope that one ore the other from the developers reads this and hopefully finds a solution for this......

cu
Matthias
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Don't think any of the primary dev's have PS3's for testing so I wouldn't hold high hopes for testing.

The PS3 preset was provided by a user a while back so again, it'll probably require some user to come along and take interest to fix whatever the issue is. (Assuming it's even a HB issue). The PS3 preset on 0.9.2 has worked for a few folk.
utahman3431

Post by utahman3431 »

I was having the same problem when converting dvd's to Divx. Because the new (0.9.2) version of HB doesn't report the video as Divx, my computer had to rely on some ffdshow mpeg-4 filter to do the decoding. From AviCodec, I saw that the fourcc type was fmp4:

After scouring the internet for a resolution, I came across a nifty little (and free!) program named AVI FourCCCChanger. I opened the file, browsed to the movie in question, and was able to change which fourcc type was reported. If anyone wants to use this, you don't have to be limited by the types the program shows. You can type in whichever fourcc type you want. The two most common will most likely be XVID or DX50:

I hope this helps someone, because it saved me from having to reconvert 20 dvd's!

EDIT: I almost forgot the link to AVI fourccChanger! Here it is, and happy ripping!
http://www.digital-digest.com/software/ ... id=0&did=1
dlflannery

Post by dlflannery »

I encode to mpeg4+mp3 in .avi container and (as the docs state) HB uses the ffmpeg mpeg4 encoder for this. There is this web page that lists the fourCC codes and indeed fmp4 is listed as ffmpeg MPEG4.

I have no problem playing these files in the latest version of VLC player. And for WMP11 it plays using the ffdshow codecs (mpeg4 video and audio). Sometimes seeking doesn't work too well in WMP so I usually use VLC.

I have a DivX-Certified DVD player (Philips DVP5960) that will play properly encoded Divx or xvid videos directly from a memory stick plugged into its USB connection. As an experiment I took three HB-encoded .avi files with the fmp4/FMP4 fourCC's, renamed them to .divx, changed the fourCC's to three different combinations and attempted to play them from the memory stick. Here is a list of the fourCC combos plus the results:

1. xvid/XVID -- Played OK
2. xvid/FMP4 -- Stated invalid encoding and played audio only
3. divx/DX50 -- Played OK

All three files would open and play in the DivX Player (from DivX) either as .avi or renamed to .divx.