Some h264 movies won't play back

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
thundar

Some h264 movies won't play back

Post by thundar »

Maybe somebody can throw me some feedback here?

I'm converted "Jackass", the movie using both XVID and H264. The XVID movie plays fine (quality isn't so hot, even at 1500 Kbps...but that's another story). But.....the H264 one for SOME reason just doesn't want to play back using Media Player Classic or on my Xbox 360. It will play fine with VLC, though. Now, i've had this happen several times with other movies, as well. Here are the options I've used on these movies; *mind you, though, that these options have worked well NUMEROUS times before*. And NO, the DVD doesn't have a copy protection problem. Here it is:

level=40:subme=6:me=umh:8x8dct:trellis=1:no-fast-pskip:analyse=all:aq-strength=0.5:aq-sensitivity=5.0

h264, aac
autocrop
deinterlace (fast)
anamorphic on
deblock on
chaper markers off
2 pass turbo

So....what's up with Handbrake? I'm kind of baffled. Thanks.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: Some h264 movies won't play back

Post by jbrjake »

Wow, what a misleading title.

If it plays in VLC, then HandBrake's generating a valid file and the problem is with your playback system.
thundar

Post by thundar »

How is this a "misleading title"? what's SO misleading about it? I'll tell ya: nothing.

How can it be a problem with my playback system? The file won't play on my computer using Media Player Classic OR on my xbox 360. The same happens when I try to play the file on another computer. So I have a problem with the playback systems on all three? Pffttt. But the file plays fine with VlC. Go figure. This has happened too many times to count. If the file doesn't play in MCP,then it won't play on the xbox. And many times a file WILL play on both computer and xbox after having used the same options to encode. Again..go figure. So......this must be an issue with some dvds. Right? Or maybe this is a problem that you can't figure out either?
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

thundar wrote:How is this a "misleading title"? what's SO misleading about it? I'll tell ya: nothing.

Um, well, as a developer I clicked on this thread assuming you were telling the truth: that some h264 movies won't play back. This would mean that the files weren't encoded correctly, and would indicate HandBrake had a bug.
How can it be a problem with my playback system?
Because as you said yourself, it plays fine in VLC? You already troubleshooted and isolated the problem factor, not sure why you're questioning this.
The file won't play on my computer using Media Player Classic OR on my xbox 360.
As in, there is a problem with your playback system.
The same happens when I try to play the file on another computer.
...but not with a decent playback system like VLC, right?
So I have a problem with the playback systems on all three? Pffttt.
...yes, you have a problem with Media Player Classic and your 360's compatibility with the totally valid files you're generating with HandBrake. Pfffttt away, that's not going to change anything.
But the file plays fine with VlC.
Which means the file HandBrake is encoding is fine.
Or maybe this is a problem that you can't figure out either?
When you don't provide an activity log, how is anyone supposed to figure out anything? I don't even know what container or bitrate you're using. Generally, people who want help with problems try to follow the "How To Get Questions Answered" sticky.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Pfffttt :lol: :lol:
thundar

Post by thundar »

Man, you sure like to try to stir people up, don't you? Which you have done a million times already on these boards. Yea, I do read. I thought my title and posts were pretty clear. And they were. "Some h264 movies won't play back"....exactly. They won't play USING media player classic or the xbox! So I have a video playback problem? Even when 20 other movies I had already converted (using the SAME damn options) worked just fine using BOTH MPC and xbox? I don't understand how you don't understand. And....I never had an activity log. It certainly isn't being automatically generated. What container and I'm using? Well, since the xbox 360 won't accept an avi container with h264, then that would have to be mp4. What bitrate am I using? Hmmm....why does that matter? It doesn't work with 1000-1500. So anymore wisecracks? Yep, I'm sure they are coming, as they always do. Don't bother with a comment. I'll just figure out the problem myself.

nightstrm, you an idiot or something?
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

I'm not the one who uses words like Pfffttt.

Good luck with your problem.
thundar

Post by thundar »

What's wrong with using "pfftt?" Seems a bit silly to me when considering someone was seeking help from potentially more knowledgeable users. Anyway.

I'm following up on this sour thread because maybe it can benefit someone in the future. I'm not entirely sure, but perhaps I was having an audio problem. At the end of this post will be some of the text the CLI window displayed....while handbrake simply froze up and didn't want to do anything more. I'll encode the movie again WITHOUT audio this time. If it encodes fine AND plays in MCP and the Xbox, I'll post another follow-up.

[19:32:34] sync: adding 50 ms of silence for track 80bd
Encoding: task 2 of 2, 33.48 % (6.34 fps, avg 5.10 fps, ETA 05h32m49s)[19:32:35]
Sync: Audio PTS (153478591) < Video PTS (153512007) by greater than 100ms, tras
hing audio to reconverge
[19:32:35] Sync: Audio PTS (153481471) < Video PTS (153512007) by greater than 1
00ms, trashing audio to reconverge
[19:32:35] Still got some video - and nothing in the audio fifo, insert silence
[19:32:35] sync: adding 50 ms of silence for track 80bd
[19:32:35] Sync: Audio PTS (153484351) < Video PTS (153516507) by greater than 1
Encoding: task 2 of 2, 33.48 % (6.34 fps, avg 5.10 fps, ETA 05h32m49s)[19:32:35]
Sync: Audio PTS (153487231) < Video PTS (153521007) by greater than 100ms, tras
hing audio to reconverge
[19:32:35] Sync: Audio PTS (153490111) < Video PTS (153521007) by greater than 1
Encoding: task 2 of 2, 33.48 %[19:32:35] Sync: Audio PTS (153492991) < Video PTS
(153521007) by greater than 100ms, trashing audio to reconverge (6.34 fps, avg
5.10 fps, ETA 05h32m49s)
Encoding: task 2 of 2, 33.48 %[19:32:36] Sync: Audio PTS (153495871) < Video PTS
(153530007) by greater than 100ms, trashing audio to reconverge
(6.13 fps, avg 5.10 fps, ETA 05h32m47s)
thundar

Post by thundar »

Wow, exactly as expected. I encoded the movie with NO audio this time. And guess what ? It plays just fine. So, I solved (kinda) the problem with this particular dvd. So....when a dvd might be giving you trouble- audio?- (as was with my case), just encode without audio, then mux in an audio track afterward using yamb.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Now that you've provided a log, I can give you an answer. The problem is the DVD, and HB will handle problem DVDs like that better in 0.9.2. If the better sync code doesn't fix it, VFR might.

I needed to know what container you use because which container it is affects how HandBrake handles the encode. Not to mention, I needed to verify you hadn't accidentally used AVI on the encodes that weren't working.

I needed to know what bitrate it was because if you'd been using a higher bitrate the issue could have been data spikes beyond the playback system's capabilities.
thundar

Post by thundar »

Thank you, jbrjake. I didn't provide a LOG the first time because Handbrake doesn't generate one. Is there an option in the GUI somewhere? Maybe I'm blind. So what I did was copy and paste from the CLI window before it closed itself. So with problem DVDs I guess I can always try VFR, or continue encoding with no audio.....or wait until the next official release. Got it. I think with problem DVDs I ought to post in the particular thread that was specifically created for that. Or do you prefer to have threads like these here in the Windows forum, since I'm using the Windows GUI? Have a good one.
thundar

Post by thundar »

I now see that the new release is up. I'll give it a whirl and report back with any potential bugs/problems.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

0.9.1 requres you to dump the Command line output into a text file. It's fairly easy. Just a switch on the end of the HandBrake command.
0.9.2 reads the log and displays it in a window so it's not far easier for those less technical users. You'll see the new activity button on the top bar.