Freeware or Shareware ripper?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
elamont

Freeware or Shareware ripper?

Post by elamont »

Hi everyone,

I am looking to put some DVDs from my own collection (ALL paid for) on my new iPhone. I have downloaded handbrake but I need a ripping freeware or shareware. Can you guys recommend any? I've done lots of searches but I'm not getting anywhere. The only one the handbrake guys recommend is AnyDVD from a European source and while I have no problem with that I am afraid the conversion rate of Euros to Dollars will make the cost too high.

Thanks!
rhester
Veteran User

Re: Freeware or Shareware ripper?

Post by rhester »

There are alternatives, like RipIt4Me and DVD43, but they lag way behind AnyDVD in terms of ripping capabilities and dealing with advanced copy protection. You can go with a free alternative, but there is no chance it will work as well as AnyDVD. Sorry.

Rodney
royone
Enlightened

Post by royone »

rhester wrote:There are alternatives, like RipIt4Me and DVD43, but they lag way behind AnyDVD in terms of ripping capabilities and dealing with advanced copy protection.
You are correct about DVD43, but I think you're wrong about RipIt4Me. Do you know of a title it won't work for?

RipIt4Me works in conjunction with DVD-Decrypter and DVD Shrink. It identifies sectors to skip and passes that list to DVD-Decrypter. It worked on, for example, Talladega Nights, which is a tough nut to crack.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

After I observed RipIt4Me crash on me three times in a row ripping a lightly-protected DVD, I gave it up. Maybe it's improved since, but it certainly seemed very manual and hackish for my tastes.

Still, it may well be a valid alternative/recommendation. People should feel free to at least give it a try, not that they need my permission. *laughs*

Rodney
echohead
Experienced

Post by echohead »

ripit4me has never given me any problems, and so far i have close to 200 movies ripped to my external hard drive.
jgourd

Post by jgourd »

I second the AnyDVD recommendation. I had a problem ripping Saw IV and the next day there was a new release of AnyDVD that addressed a new copy protection scheme (intentional bad sectors) used on Saw IV.