highest quality for ripping

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
hong

highest quality for ripping

Post by hong »

HI,

can anyone please help me. I'm new to using handbreak - is it possible to ripped from a dvd and maintain the highest quality, so that i can make some edit and then re-author it back onto dvd again? Basically what is the bets setting to maintain the highest quality possible when ripping with handbreak?

CHEERS!
nightstrm
Veteran User

Re: highest quality for ripping

Post by nightstrm »

You wouldn't want to use HB for this purpose (MPEG2 -> MPEG4 -> MPEG2), especially if quality is a concern.
hong

Post by hong »

Do you know what software i should use nightstrm? is there a software for doing this?
lordeagle
Novice

Post by lordeagle »

Hi Hong,

For DVD re-authoring, I personally use "DVD Shrink".
hong

Post by hong »

Hi Oli,

i have dvd shrink, but i need to rip a footage and re-edit certain bits and then re-author it on dvd again. DVD shrink will rip it but it then saves it as a Vob file for dvd. I need to rip it into avi first for editing in its highest quality . Any suggestion?
echohead
Experienced

Post by echohead »

the highest possible quality is achieved in the following manner:

1) open handbrake and click the "Bedlam" preset.
2) change the audio encoder to "Vorbis" and under the "audio & subtitles" tab, change the bitrate to 320kbps (AAC audio is NOT better than Vorbis. In fact, there is evidence that 192kbps mp3 sounds better than 160kbps mp4).
3) under "video settings" move the "constant quality" slider all the way to the left (so it reads 100%), and place a check in the "constant rate factor" box
4) under "picture settings" select auto crop from the cropping dropdown menu. you may also want to place a check in the "deblock" box. additional deblocking may improve picture quality slightly in your case, but if youre not compressing the video into a smaller file size, this may actually make things worse.
5) make sure to change the filetype from mkv to avi

NOTE: normal "Bedlam" preset encodes will take an extremely long time (i have a very fast computer, and with compression it took about 21 hours to encode a single movie). if you choose to keep the quality at 100% (meaning the filesize is the same as the original DVD was) then it may take much longer. also there arent a lot of programs that can handle movies like this without crashing. however, if you have the time to wait for an encode to take potentially more than 24 hours, i guarantee the final movie will look just as good, if not better, than the original DVD.

but as nightstrm said, you will lose some picture quality when you convert the AVI back to DVD...this is just the nature of the codecs involved, so theres nothing you can do about it.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

echohead wrote:In fact, there is evidence that 192kbps mp3 sounds better than 160kbps mp4).
Please cite this evidence, I'd be happy to read it.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

echohead wrote:i guarantee the final movie will look just as good, if not better, than the original DVD.
Better? That's a bit of a stretch, unless you're talking about denoising.

Rodney
royone
Enlightened

Post by royone »

hong wrote:Do you know what software i should use nightstrm? is there a software for doing this?
VLC media player will transcode to an AVI.
echohead
Experienced

Post by echohead »

echohead wrote:In fact, there is evidence that 192kbps mp3 sounds better than 160kbps mp4).

Please cite this evidence, I'd be happy to read it.
"2005, August comparison - MPC vs VORBIS vs MP3 vs AAC at 180 kbit/s. An audiophile listening test, which states that, for classical music, aoTuV beta 4 has 93% percent probability of being the best encoder, tied with MPC. MPC is tied with both Vorbis, in the first place, and LAME in the second."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorbis
echohead wrote:i guarantee the final movie will look just as good, if not better, than the original DVD.

Better? That's a bit of a stretch, unless you're talking about denoising.

Rodney

yes i denoise a lot of my movies (and all animation/cartoons).
hong

Post by hong »

Echohead - i've followed your advice on the bedlam settings. But my quicktime won;t play the convert avi - do you know what plug-in or components i need to install into quicktime?

cheeers in davance
echohead
Experienced

Post by echohead »

if you are using a Mac for playback:
http://perian.org/
...perian will let you view just about any format in quicktime.

but if youre on windows, i would suggest you stop using quicktime and try a different media player:
-KMPlayer (my personal favorite)
-VLC player
-GOM player
-Zoom Player

^here is a short list of video players that have the advantage of having all or almost all codecs built-in right from the start. if it doesnt play in any of these, theres something wrong with the file you made with handbrake.