Newbie Question about kmp

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
PhoenixRe

Newbie Question about kmp

Post by PhoenixRe »

Hey, I was trying the other night to encode an episode of lost in m4v file with the same settings as apple tv (only with two passes cause I wanted it to be a specified size - 370MB) and when it was done media plauer classic was playing it just fine, how ever korean media player wouldnt play it at all. It would open a black screen and do nothing. Does it have anything with the encode or the player. I want to know because I backup my dvd on my hard drive, and up to last year I was doing it in xvid, but since h264 has come a long way i feel that it would be stupid not to use it instead, so if anyone has any ideas...
rhester
Veteran User

Re: Newbie Question about kmp

Post by rhester »

If anything plays it, the encode is fine (but our baseline is VLC). Please research and fix the problem with your broken player (on a more appropriate forum).

Rodney
echohead
Experienced

Post by echohead »

re-encode it with the same settings, but change the container from .m4v to .mp4 and KMPlayer will play it. KMPlayer is very robust, but unfortunately has a history of problems playing formats associated with DRM.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

The only difference between a .mp4 file and a .m4v file is the extension. Drm isn't involved in any way.
echohead
Experienced

Post by echohead »

m4v files CAN have drm in them, but mp4 files NEVER have drm. kmplayer likes to throw up whenever you try to play a file that has the ability to contain drm.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Doing a re-encode makes 0 difference. The file is 100% identical. HandBrake does not support any DRM. You can literally just change the extension from mp4 to m4v and vice versa.

All M4V is, is a file extension which quicktime looks for to tell it to turn on Chapters Support
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Mp4 can have drm too.
echohead
Experienced

Post by echohead »

- .m4v: .mp4 files with the WRONG extension introduced by apple for video+audio files, m4v can safely be renamed to .mp4
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s&threadid=62723

then i guess all i know is m4v is causing something to break. or maybe the doom9 people dont know what theyre talking about :lol:. my advice: try just fixing the extension by changing it to mp4. if that doesnt work, re-encode and use the mp4 container this time.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

echohead wrote:http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s&threadid=62723
then i guess all i know is m4v is causing something to break. or maybe the doom9 people dont know what theyre talking about :lol:.
That link doesn't say a damned thing about m4v "causing something to break."
re-encode and use the mp4 container this time.
What are you talking about? The OP already *is* using the MP4 container.
echohead
Experienced

Post by echohead »

as i already said, m4v is just a misnamed mp4 container that doesnt seem to work in KMPlayer. im aware they both use the same container...so this problem is fixed with either an update to KMPlayer or a simple renaming of m4v to mp4. this is a problem i have experienced firsthand...i was testing the different container formats and found that m4v would not play in KMPlayer. also i suggested he change the extension first, and only re-encode if that doesnt seem to work.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

echohead wrote:re-encode if that doesnt seem to work.
As sr55 already explained, "Doing a re-encode makes 0 difference."

Your explanations make no sense. If it was "the ability to contain drm" that threw off KMPlayer, it wouldn't play mp4 either, as ritsuka pointed out. The problem is that KMplayer is broken, not M4V or the possibility of DRM. HandBrake certainly doesn't include any of the ISMACrypt stuff.
royone
Enlightened

Post by royone »

If the encode was done with chapter markers enabled, and KMP doesn't like chapter markers, a re-encode without them might be in order.