Problem with reading the DVD

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
zenmaster742

Problem with reading the DVD

Post by zenmaster742 »

I recently installed handbrake for windows to put my favorite dvds on my computer and onto my new ipod classic. So far I've successfully ripped and encoded six movies to my computer, and have been satisfied with the quality.

The problem came up when I attempted to rip my Kill Bill Volume 1 DVD. I went through the same steps I had taken for all the others, first using dvd43, found the VIDEO_TS folder and selected it. But when it tried to read the DVD it never completed it. I could hear the disk spinning somewhat erratically and the initial command prompt never went away.

I took out the cd and tried it several times, getting the same result. I noticed some faint scratching that followed the circular path of the DVD. I don't remember it ever being damaged because I watched it a long time ago. Could this scratching prevent it from being read properly? And if so, is there an easy way to fix the scratches so it will be usable?
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Scratching is a difficult thing to determine how 'serious' it is - if you watch the DVD in a standard DVD player, does it play all the way through without stuttering, pausing or showing macroblocking?

If the scratch is shallow, you can buy a cheap polishing kit. If it's deeper, you will need something like the "CD Doctor" that actually sands a very thin layer of the plastic off, thus eliminating the scratch.

Rodney