Testing complete: Gone back to v1.2.2

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Dibrom

Testing complete: Gone back to v1.2.2

Post by Dibrom »

After some pretty thorough and lengthy testing of v1.4.0, v1.4.1 and the newest v1.4.2, I've had enough now and gone back to v1.2.2 again. Just can't see the point of v1.4.x at all. On my computer it offers no advantages or noticeable improvements at all over v1.2.2. In fact, some functions have either been removed entirely or are now buggy and don't work like they're supposed to.

Modulus setting is gone - works fine in v1.2.2
Anamorphic display width setting doesn't accept odd numbers in some random unpredictable instances - works fine with all numbers in v1.2.2
Preview images scan quicker and view much faster in v1.2.2
Presets window on RHS is located much more intuitively and better displayed in v1.2.2

I was testing the later v1.4.x versions only because I had been using v1.2.2 faultlessly for a very long time and thought I should upgrade just to see what I was missing by sticking with what I knew and trusted. Turns out I was missing nothing. There is no noticeable quality or speed increase with v1.4.x over v1.2.2 and in fact it is much harder to use because the logic of the settings and their functions has effectively been broken from the much less confusing v1.2.2.

Can anyone who is a fan of the v1.4.x branch and also familiar with the earlier v1.2.2 explain to me what I'm missing by not upgrading?
Rumourd

Re: Testing complete: Gone back to v1.2.2

Post by Rumourd »

10-bit pipeline for encoding squashing 4K HEVC down to 1/4-1/5 the size...
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

So, you disagree with the GUI enforcing limitations on input to what is valid, rather than quietly doing something other than what it was asked? You used to be able to tell handbrake not to burn in PGS subtitles on MP4 files, even though that would quietly be overridden.

That's fair. I still use 0.10.3 for some things that require better AAC encoding.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Mostly just thrashing the angry spaghetti around.

The CLI is pretty solid in the recent releases. It's a better interface anyway.
Dibrom

Post by Dibrom »

Thank you all, that helps me not be bothered I'm running an old version. 4K video encoding is not a requirement for me at all, so that doesn't even come into consideration as a lacking function on v1.2.2. I don't agree that sometimes rounding display width values to even numbers and then other times not, is an example of enforcing valid limitations. It's a programming bug and an annoying one. The GUI layout is very much a personal opinion, but I find the one used in v1.2.2 to be more logical and easier to navigate, with particular emphasis on the Dimensions tab.

The only difficulty in downgrading was not realising I would need to delete the entire User/App Data folder of stored settings and start again from scratch. Luckily I had exported my custom settings to backup file, so this was not a massive drama.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The nice thing about open-source software is that you aren't forced to update if it isn't in your best interest.