10 bit encoding?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
xokia

10 bit encoding?

Post by xokia »

Description of problem or question:
no problem just a question

If I choose one of the presets matrosaka H.265 MKV 2160p60 I then choose H.265 10-bit for the video encoder.
I also noticed under video that decomb filter is turned to on.

Does this mean its actually doing a 8-bit encoding?
https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/tec ... mmary.html

If I switch to Yadif will I get 10 bit?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
nightly 20210910215856-4b194ad57

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

windows
mduell
Veteran User

Re: 10 bit encoding?

Post by mduell »

With any of those filters the source will be converted to 8 bit, filtered, and then converted back to 10 bit for encoding.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Yes, Yadif is 10bit compatible, but if your source is not interlaced there is no need for a deinterlace filter.
xokia

Post by xokia »

Ritsuka wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:32 pm Yes, Yadif is 10bit compatible, but if your source is not interlaced there is no need for a deinterlace filter.
Yea I was just using a config that was already configured and then modifying for my needs. It would be useful if they grayed out configs that are not 10 bit compatible when someone chooses to encode in 10 bit. Or maybe turned text red or something. Something to give the user a clue this config is not doing what you want.
xokia

Post by xokia »

So another question for the experts.

On handbrake there is two fields on the filter section, interlace detection and then deinterlace. Now I believe that 4k UHD videos should all be progressive scan. But if we leave interlace detection set to "default" then we set deinterlace set to decomb. Then I believe no harm should be done and we should still get native 10 bit because handbrake will not detect an interlaced frame and never enter the decomb filter.

Am I understanding that correctly?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

If the filter is initialized, then the pipeline will include a 10-bit to 8-bit conversion regardless of whether any frames are actually filtered.

IMO, interlace detection and deinterlace should be disabled for UHD content, especially 10-bit/HDR input (not required and interlace detection does have a performance cost, which can be negligible on modern hardware for SD content, but not for 4K).

That means you need a different preset for SD/HD and UHD sources, but that's probably a good idea :-)

The actual pipeline bit depth is indicated in the encode log, but a disruptive warning is overkill -- there are valid reasons to encode 8-bit input with a 10-bit encoder.

I guess it would be useful to add an obvious warning when 10-bit input gets converted to 8-bit then back to 10-bit though (patches welcome).
xokia

Post by xokia »

Thanks good to know. I do have different presets I believ I started with one of the 4K presets already in handbrake and then modified. Since I didn’t know what those did I didn’t modify. Now I know and will disable.

I was think just something that turned 10bit text red or something simple like that.