Resizing from 16:9 to 4:3 (or to other aspect ratio)

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
bleriot13

Resizing from 16:9 to 4:3 (or to other aspect ratio)

Post by bleriot13 »

Description of problem or question:
Sorry if this a dumb question, but I can't find the way to do something that I could do easily in version 1.3.

Sometimes, some films I have are stored in, for instance, in a 16:9 aspect ratio, but its dimensions should match the 4:3 aspect ratio. Normally this happens when I record films from some TV channels that always stretch the films to make them match the usual dimensions of TV sets.

With version 1.3 of handbrake I only had to switch to the "Dimensions" tab, unfold the "Anamorphic" dropdown, select "None" and then UNCHECK the checkbox that said (I don't recall the precise wording) "Keep original aspect ratio" (or something like this).

Now I can't find such checkbox. Any of the modes that may be selected in the "Anamorphic" dropdown make that any change in any of the dimensions (width or height) change the other one automatically to match the original aspect ratio.

How can I do this now?

Thank you!

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
-

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 10

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Sorry, no log. I'm not reporting a bug, but just asking a question
DataMeister

Re: Resizing from 16:9 to 4:3 (or to other aspect ratio)

Post by DataMeister »

I just ran into this same problem. Then I thought maybe I would downgrade to 1.3.3 to at least get the job done, but then Handbrake wouldn't launch until I cleared out the settings folder.