Subtitles not encoding in new version

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Numbersix32409

Subtitles not encoding in new version

Post by Numbersix32409 »

Description of problem or question:
Since downloading and installing the new version, 1.4.1, I have been having problems with encoding subtitles to my videos. It will encode some of the subtitles throughout the video, but not all. I keep noticing that in the log, I am getting a message that states, "unable to decode subtitle with X bytes," with X being a number, like 235 or 2019. Does anyone know what this means, and how to fix it? I never had this problem with the previous version. :x

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 10 Home

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

https://pastebin.com/AiRn5Ps4
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Subtitles not encoding in new version

Post by Woodstock »

Are you trying to decode from an ISO of a DVD? It appears that whatever created your file did not remove the CSS encryption from it. Since handbrake does not include decryption (it's not a disk ripper, after all), things are getting confused.

Have you tried reading the ISO with a disk ripper like MakeMKV?
Numbersix32409

Post by Numbersix32409 »

No, I ripped the DVD with DVD Decrypter. There's no ISO, just the DVD VIDEO_TS folder with the DVD files.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

It looks like the VOB is damaged. If you deselect the only subtitle track, does the encode complete? It doesn't in your log:

Code: Select all

[14:45:00] sync: got 67052 frames, 81691 expected
This is the same sort of thing I see when the disk experienced a read error, and handbrake just knows that the data stream stopped.
Numbersix32409

Post by Numbersix32409 »

Let me clarify: The encode completes just fine, the file plays just fine, audio and video are fine, but the soft-coded subtitles have gaps. I play the file and turn on the subtitles, and it plays with them, but then the subtitles disappear for some time, then come back. The times at which this happen in the video seem to match when I get that message in the encode log:

[14:35:02] sync: "Chapter 3" (3) at frame 21216 time 74807696
unable to decode subtitle with 235 bytes.

Chapter 3 of the video is missing some of its subtitles, starting at the beginning of the chapter to about 2 minutes in, at which point the subtitles come back. This has happened to almost all the videos I've encoded with the new version. Out of 25, 5 videos have all their subtitles, while 20 are missing some. When I play the VOB files, all the subtitles are there and functioning, I don't believe they are damaged.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

While this may indeed be a HandBrake issue, does making MKV files (from the VIDEO_TS folder, using MakeMKV) and then using HandBrake to encode (from the MKVs created in the previous step) help at all?
Numbersix32409

Post by Numbersix32409 »

Rodeo wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:36 pm While this may indeed be a HandBrake issue, does making MKV files (from the VIDEO_TS folder, using MakeMKV) and then using HandBrake to encode (from the MKVs created in the previous step) help at all?
I did what you instructed, and it mostly worked, almost all of the subtitles encoded this time, except for 2 lines, each being the first line of the subtitle gaps in my first encode. The "unable to decode subtitles..." message is gone though.

Encode log for new encode: https://pastebin.com/zSXZJkCZ
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Intriguing. Can you please check:

(1) that the missing subtitles are indeed present in the MKV file created by MakeMKV?

(2) exactly how many subtitles are missing from HandBrake's output, for the file corresponding to the last log you provided?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

For reference, my copy of that title:

[21:07:49] Subtitle track 1 (id 0x5) 'English [VOBSUB]': 832 hits (0 forced)
Numbersix32409

Post by Numbersix32409 »

Rodeo wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:25 am Intriguing. Can you please check:

(1) that the missing subtitles are indeed present in the MKV file created by MakeMKV?

(2) exactly how many subtitles are missing from HandBrake's output, for the file corresponding to the last log you provided?
(1) Yes, the missing subtitles are indeed on the MKV file

(2) There are two (admittedly small, 2 words each) subtitles missing.

Would it be ok if I attached GIFs of the video to show what I mean?
Numbersix32409

Post by Numbersix32409 »

Just updated to 1.4.2 and still having this issue :(