Resizing

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Kmcm

Resizing

Post by Kmcm »

I have a video recorded in EP mode and want to resize it so it fills the screen.
Handbrakes "Dimension" setting is 352 x 288. If I try and change this it reverts back to that size.
Can I get around this anyhow and what would be optimum size ?
Thanks for any help.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Resizing

Post by Woodstock »

Within the GUI, you cannot upscale. You need to use the command line version for that.
DexKen

Post by DexKen »

With 1.4.1 you can. Check the "Aallow upscaling" in the Dimensions tab
Kmcm

Post by Kmcm »

Thank you I've just downloaded 1.41.
Is there any formulae to determine what upscale settings to use (to fill TV screen)?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

That depends on the TV and the video. Are they the same aspect ratio? Given your source, probably not.

In that case, any upscaling for "fill" will necessitate either cropping to match the display aspect ratio, or distortion to stretch the video to match.
Kmcm

Post by Kmcm »

I expected the resolution to be 1920x1080, but on consulting the manual its 3840x2160
I'm ignoring the aspect ratio initially, just wanting the Handbrake dimension settings that fill the screen.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

To be frank, upscaling your video will make every real pixel be 10x10 pixels on the screen. I dislike trying to fit DVD video (twice the resolution you're starting with) on to a 4K display, unless I'm going to be sitting a LONG way away from it.

The TV has circuitry in it to do smoothing of the extra-big blocks. You can use filters in handbrake to do that, too, but the main thing you gain is file size.

But, play is free. You can run multiple encodes with different settings and decide which ones are acceptable to you.

My opinion is my opinion. In your life, it counts for zero, since you're the one that will be using the results. I would simply set the TV to "Zoom/Fill" and be done with it, rather than introduce video degradation by adding another generation of compression artifacts.

(I am the sort that doesn't see the need for 4K UHD HDR video being used to attempt to compensate for poor content.)
Kmcm

Post by Kmcm »

I had been using the TVs zoom control but I'm pretty sure you lose a bit from each edge i.e. it does not fill perfectly.
The source was recorded in a mode that 'squashes' the content horizontally and my hope was to correct this with HB.
It may, or it may keep the squashed aspect, just bigger.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Ah, the Pixel Aspect Ratio may need some adjustment as part of this, too. But that requires looking at things on a "flat" (no zooming) monitor so you can verify that the video is squished, rather than the TV zoom squishing it.

Does it look squished if you change the TV zoom to "none"? If not, the distortion is in getting added by the TV trying to eliminate black bars without cropping the picture. Fitting a 4:3 video to a 16:9 display without bars is GOING to result in either cropping or distortion.
Kmcm

Post by Kmcm »

Yes it's squashed when viewing with no adjustment. It would be 16:9 when expanded horizontally. I'm still hoping there's some way to get the current dimension (which I think HB shows) and calculate the HB setting that would expand it.
Does anyone know if this is possible? If not, it'll be trial and error.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

What you describe seems to be an anamorphic video (non-square pixels), but it should have a pixel aspect ratio included in the video stream.

This is where logs of an encode make things possible - we can see what handbrake saw when it read the file. While it won't be the ideal situation, do an encode with one of the HQ presets (minimize distortion) and post the log here so we can see it. Does not have to be a full encode; just pick 20 seconds or so.
Atul_0303

Changing Forcefully to Variable Frame Rate

Post by Atul_0303 »

Sir,

In latest version of Handbrake, When I Choose "same as Source" & Clicked on "Constant" in Frame Rate Mode. Even the Source Video has constant Frame Rate but the output is with Variable Frame Rate. I use same settings from last 4 years, but in the latest version I have faced this problem.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Atul_0303, you should start your own topic and include the information requested in the posting template.
Atul_0303

Activity Log

Post by Atul_0303 »

Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

I moved your post to a new topic viewtopic.php?f=11&t=41782