Batch encoding with subtitles

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Jwegier

Batch encoding with subtitles

Post by Jwegier »

Description of problem or question:

Hello,

I am a new Handbrake user.

I have encoded the video file of an episode of a TV series and burnt a srt subtitles file on it. Also, using the Folder/Batch option, I have encoded all the 6 episodes of the season without burning the subtitles on the video files.

What I failed to do is to encode all 6 episodes of the series using the batch/folder option, with each episode having its subtitle burnt on it.

Is it possible with Handbrake and how do I proceed?
Thank you very much.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 10
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Batch encoding with subtitles

Post by Woodstock »

Batch add requires that you have a usable "selection behavior" for both audio and subtitles in the current, saved version of the active preset. If the selection behavior doesn't find tracks that match the rules, they are not included.

Those rules only work for subtitles that are included IN the source video file; It really can't be done with SRT or SSA external subtitles, since those are not automatically detected. You will have to manually add each title to the queue.

If you want to burn them in, you are better starting with the original source, even though your already-processed files have the subtitles included. This is because of "generational loss" in multiple encodes.
Jwegier

Re: Batch encoding with subtitles

Post by Jwegier »

Thank you very much for helping!